installed bianca and no sound at all

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

installed bianca and no sound at all

Postby norman on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:58 pm

I just installed Bianca and i have zero sound. I checked everything that i could. I am a noobie. How do I get sound to work. I see that there are other people struggling to do the same. Help.
norman
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby norman on Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:39 pm

wireless disappeared after the updates. now what? no sound or wireless.
norman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby norman on Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:40 pm

wireless comes and goes from boot up or reboot to reboot - but it is on now...maybe something to do with this stupid keyring thing.

still no sound whatsoever. Can some help get this sound going? thanx.
norman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby norman on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:14 pm

i really like Mint. I would love to get the sound going. I pudated. Wireless works this time. when I updated before I got no wireeless signal. I reloaded Mint Bianca.
So maybe the update wasn't the problem. I am not sure.
norman
Level 1
Level 1

Sound

Postby Hiko96786 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:19 pm

Aloha,
Make sure all of your volumes are turned up. You can go to the speaker that is on the top bar and right click it to open. In there make sure all the volumes are up so we can eliminate that as a cause.
Mahalo,
Edward
Hiko96786
Level 1
Level 1

Postby norman on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:31 pm

i checked everything along those lines. this has to be something deeper.
norman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby metapy on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:33 pm

4 posts in as many hours, you need to actually give people time to reply. ;)

There seems to be some issue with Intel sound on this particular distribution. You may want to SEARCH the forums as there have been a few other people with similar issues.

Since Linux Mint is based off Ubuntu you may want to search there as well. I took the time to do a quick search and came up with this. If you are running an Intel sound solution this may fix your problem.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto

Again all this is based off the assumption you are using an Intel based sound solution. If you are using a different sound card/built in sound you may want to post that information as well. You can find more information about your system and what sound drivers are in use by going to System -> Administration -> Device manager

You can also right click the speaker icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen and select Open Volume Control the sound device in use will be in the title of the window. Make sure that the Master and PCM volumes are both set to the maximum position and that they are not muted (red X through the small speaker icon at the bottom of each respective column). You may also want to click on the File menu of the Volume Control and select Change Device, if there are other sound devices there, please try those. If anything, report back with the results of what I recommended and I bet someone can assist you further.

Good luck.
metapy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby norman on Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:29 pm

thank you - i guess it is an intel card.

I will check out stuff and get back to you.

I just checked it out and some of it is a bit beyond me. I am not sure just which one or plan of attack I should do. My bootup doesn't hang, I just get no sound. I just wish I knew about 10% more or even 25 would be great because I would have been able to get this thing going.

I will re-read this many times and try to plod on. Thankyou,

what I found out is that I may have a HD azalia Analog Devices AD1986A SOUND MAX capable of 3deffect and also full duplex.

I have seen another 1 or 2 people here and on ubuntu site to have issues without any rsponse or help so I am in a fuzzy place as to just what to do. I hate to do something that is not needed or will do something worse. That is why I am so apprehensive. It is tough when you know enough to be dangerous.
norman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby metapy on Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:58 pm

norman: Well you are making excellent headway. Just remember we ALL started where you are at today at one point or another. If you are apprehensive about a guide you read online then PRINT the guide out, if anything goes seriously wrong you always have a written copy to either undo what you have done or go back to to reference again. Also keep a copy of your install CD handy, remember if you screw something up you can always pop that back in and get online for more help or in a worst case scenario you can reinstall. It sounds like you are just getting started, so feel free to break things I promise you will end up learning more in the long run even if you waste some time. I bet you made similar mistakes in your early days with Windows too.
metapy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby norman on Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:03 pm

thanks for the kind words. I am very frsutrated and have been losing it the last few weeks and few days especially. i do not use windows by the way.

check back in today or tomorrow please to help me out. Not sure how much more patience I have left today. Heh! Heh!
norman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby norman on Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:52 pm

i did the first part of the page - before it got to the intel alsa drivers to find and compile and load which I do not know what to do - still no sound.

I guess I will have to live without sound....hmmm.....
norman
Level 1
Level 1

Alsa.

Postby euthypro on Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:00 am

Hi Norman,

I'm also new and had sound problems with hda-intel on my Gateway laptop. This thread gives simple and explicit instructions for getting the latest Alsa drivers. Don't know if it will work for you. It worked for me.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=276343&page=4

It's on post #33

Good luck,

Angel
euthypro
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other topics