Brand New to Mint, and Loving Every Minute of It

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Brand New to Mint, and Loving Every Minute of It

Postby pr3@ch3r on Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:39 pm

I was an debian/RHE/FC/Ubuntu user and got sold on Ubuntu 7. But just as soon as I finished my install, updates, and basic customization, I found You lovely easy and preconfigured Mint. Ahh bliss at last. Wireless works out of the box with not a single button to push other than "configure" "dhcp" "ssid" and blamo. Updates were few, and took only a minute. Flash was already installed and working, and then I had to go to work. God I can't wait to see what else is already working without hours of configuring. Thanks guys for stepping up and making the ideals that Ubuntu embraced even better.

I have spent time when I could the past few days perusing the forums, but I do have a quick question though I must admit I have not searched for it yet - its simply a curiosity: I could have swore I read on the website that nvidia was preinstalled however, having a GeForce 6800GS, when I first ran the live cd it used the NV open source driver like ubuntu and FC do but NV doesnt work, only the nvidia driver or vesa does. So I did the normal atl f2 commandline, changed the xorg.conf to vesa and restarted X which brought up the gui. When I installed it, it installed the vesa driver and also the nvidia driver module within the generic kernel. I guess my question is a.) does it install whatever driver is currently in your xorg.conf during the livecd session when you actually install? and b.) is the nvidia driver available during the livecd session, and if so, what is the command to type in the options line during the initial option choosing before the livecd loads a session? Thanks guys, and great job on the OS
pr3@ch3r
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby mumbo719 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:46 pm

Welcome to Mint!

You are correct, first boot and live cd uses generic drivers.

We use the preinstalled envy script for the Nvidia and ATI drivers.

Press Alt ctrl and F1 key and type sudo envy and it will get the correct driver for you.

Don't do it from a regular terminal, it will just hang.
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Postby pr3@ch3r on Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:09 pm

mumbo719 wrote:Welcome to Mint!

You are correct, first boot and live cd uses generic drivers.

We use the preinstalled envy script for the Nvidia and ATI drivers.

Press Alt ctrl and F1 key and type sudo envy and it will get the correct driver for you.

Don't do it from a regular terminal, it will just hang.

ahhh too cool, thanks
pr3@ch3r
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics