Donating without using Paypal at all impossible?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Donating without using Paypal at all impossible?

Postby rpeake on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:47 pm

Hello.
As a longtime Linuxmint user I would like to donate to this Distro but it appears that there is no way to do this without envolving Paypal.
At least this is the impression that I have obtained from your site's payment form.
Paypal is not a company that I want to have any dealings with. So hopefully I will be informed as to how I can donate without Paypal.
Regards,
Ron
rpeake
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Donating without using Paypal at all impossible?

Postby wheeledgoat on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:23 pm

i have no idea about the payment options, hopefully someone else will chime in with some input.

but I am curious to know what your reasons are for avoiding PayPal? i'm not trolling, promise - I've never heard anything bad about them, and use them myself. You have me wondering what news I missed somewhere along the way.

Mint installed on my still-rockin' budget build from '08:
3ghz Athlon 64 dualcore on DFI LP DK w/ 8g DDR2, GeForce GTX 760 & Turtle Beach Riviera

Win7 on my lite build of 2012:
3.1ghz i3 dualcore on Biostar H61 w/ 8g DDR3, Crucial M4 128g SSD
wheeledgoat
Level 3
Level 3

Postby daveinuk on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:36 pm

You don't need to have an existing paypal account to donate but Mint are using paypal as the payment gateway, all you need to do is go to the donate page http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php and click the 'make a donation' button, the next screen takes you to the paypal payment page, on the right hand side in the lower half you'll see 'pay with a debit or credit card' and the option to create an account, which you can just opt out of - all you need is the email address of the person you want to send the payment to which in this case is

Code: Select all
root@linuxmint.com

I imagine you could also mail that address and ask for bank details if you prefer a bank transfer, can't see why they would turn that request down . . . . ;)

Hope this helps . . . . . .
Lenovo ThinkPad T61 LM16-64 bit Intel T7500/2.2GHz/Cinammon 1.8 Intel GM965. Toshiba Satellite M70: LM16-32bit. Desktop:LM13 Maya 64 bit, on new Intel 3.2ghz proc/asus MB/8gb RAM
daveinuk
Level 5
Level 5

Postby tdockery97 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:40 pm

Another option is Bitcoin. According to Clem in the this Blog post it is accepted: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2369. It's in the comments section and has Mint's Bitcoin address.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
Registered Linux User #520972
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby rpeake on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:50 am

daveinuk wrote:You don't need to have an existing paypal account to donate but Mint are using paypal as the payment gateway, all you need to do is go to the donate page http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php and click the 'make a donation' button, the next screen takes you to the paypal payment page, on the right hand side in the lower half you'll see 'pay with a debit or credit card' and the option to create an account, which you can just opt out of - all you need is the email address of the person you want to send the payment to which in this case is

Code: Select all
root@linuxmint.com

I imagine you could also mail that address and ask for bank details if you prefer a bank transfer, can't see why they would turn that request down . . . . ;)

Hope this helps . . . . . .

Thank you for your reply. I will email linuxmint and see what they can suggest.
Regards,
Ron
rpeake
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics