[SOLVED!!]AAAA!!! NOT SOLVED!!! MINT AND WINDOWS DIED!!!

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED!!]AAAA!!! NOT SOLVED!!! MINT AND WINDOWS DIED!!!

Postby cool_gamer8119 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:08 am

When i installed my nVidia driver with envy, (yes... i did this before), i restarted my computer and it came up with a blue screen that said something to the effect of:

X server has failed to start, do you want to see problem information?
Yes No

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I went into recovery and tried to uninstall, but the nVidia uninstall program said that i was in something like
you are running in runmode1, this installer may not work correctly unless you are in runmode3... to cancel hit yes to continue hit no

first i hit yes... restarted and x still wasnt working... so i went back and hit no when it came up, had envy configure the xorg file and restarted...

STILL DOESNT WORK!!!
help me, i do not want to reinstall mint again... last i tried, it failed to install...
Last edited by cool_gamer8119 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
linux mint!
cool_gamer8119
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby frank392 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

HI
Try this
Just when you get the error message press Ctrl + Alt + F1
then login
and now run sudo envy
and install your drivers, ( y )to everything, you are done!
Do not uninstall the driver first envy will take care of that.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Postby scorp123 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:41 am

But other than that your system is still "working"? Can you boot the Mint CD in "Live CD" mode? I suppose this would work? You could then mount your Linux HD and take the error log from there and post this here.

Another idea might be to force your X.org to reconfigure itself. So when your system boots (from the HD) and X crashes, can you press ALT+F2 so you get to a console login? Please log in with your normal account (i.e. the same you would use when you login via the GUI). You will be greeted with a command shell. Once you're there type in this command:
Code: Select all
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-org
... it will ask you for your password.

I am not 100% sure if this works, but my hope is that this would at least give you a minimum screen resolution so you can more or less work with the system again ... It's way easier to fix all the remaining problems from there onwards. Can you try that please?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby cool_gamer8119 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:09 am

ok... it is fixed... frank392's idea worked... thanks!!
linux mint!
cool_gamer8119
Level 2
Level 2

Postby scorp123 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:48 pm

cool_gamer8119 wrote:ok... it is fixed... frank392's idea worked... thanks!!
oh, Cool :D
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby cool_gamer8119 on Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:55 am

.....well actually....

When i installed beryl, using the how to that Alephcat posted, it worked perfectly.... until i restarted my computer. it came up with the good old X malfunction screen i mentioned above so i thought no biggie, must be the video card... i go in and reinstall with envy, restart my computer and then NOTHING SHOWS UP!!! then i go to windows but that died and i got a stupid BSOD.....

so my computer completely died and i reinstalled linux (windows can wait)

Can anyone tell me what went wrong?
linux mint!
cool_gamer8119
Level 2
Level 2

Postby scorp123 on Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:23 am

cool_gamer8119 wrote:Can anyone tell me what went wrong?
Sounds like a hardware problem to me :shock: Because whatever you do in Linux shouldn't have any influence whatsoever in Windows and vice versa (unless you format disk partitions and stuff like that ...). Maybe your card's cooling is insufficient? :? It overheated and that's why it went bye bye in both Linux and Windows ... I have the same problem in two of my machines, both with NVidia cards. I had to remove parts of the casings so that these two machines are constantly open. Or else that hot air building up inside wouldn't be able to get out ... Maybe you have a similar problem? Those graphics cards can really get very very hot (especially when doing 3D accelerated stuff!) and when they overheat they tend to behave strangely or may even get damaged ... whick kinda sucks :roll:

Maybe it would be worth checking how hot your PC gets in the inside, just to be sure it's no heat problem?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby cool_gamer8119 on Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:52 am

it cant be a heat problem... i have a wireless desktop card that doesnt fit right so i leave the cover off all the time, because with the card it i cant push the power button on my cover to turn it on...
i think i was toying around windows files and messed one up... everything is supposedly working now... i will reinstall windows sooner or later... i am just worried about what windows will do to grub and if it will detect linux or not...

ALSO! Just to clarify... What i ment by
i restarted my computer and NOTHING SHOWS UP!!!

is that i went into linux... grub still came up fine
linux mint!
cool_gamer8119
Level 2
Level 2

Postby scorp123 on Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:38 pm

cool_gamer8119 wrote:... i am just worried about what windows will do to grub
It will overwrite it!! It's Microsoft standard policy :twisted: Non-Microsoft boot loaders always get overwritten :? ... So much for the bad news. The good news: It's easy to get grub back :D ... e.g. with the Live CD it's just a matter of typing three or so commands into the terminal and grub is back as if nothing had happened.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

Another way to fix this in a quick way would be the "Super GRUB" Live CD ... Instructions here:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/SuperGrubDiskPage.html

... the short version (taken from help.ubuntu.com above) would be:
    * Download the Super Grub Disk from here: http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/
    * Burn into a cdrom (better) or a floppy
    * Boot from it
    * Select: your language
    * Select: Linux
    * Select: Fix Boot of Linux (GRUB)
    * You see the message: SGD has done it!
    * Reboot
    * You're done.
Sounds pretty easy I think 8)

Regards,
scorp123
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby cool_gamer8119 on Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:04 pm

ok... you right and i wrong...

My video card is overheating... i have been taking the time to read the windows BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH it gives me and it says there is a problem with something like "nv4" i figure it is nvidia card...

i couldent get on my computer when this was going on so i couldnt get your post... it overwrote grub... but i was going to install linux mint again anyway (if it is still not working!!!)
no worries...
linux mint!
cool_gamer8119
Level 2
Level 2

Postby timmyflight on Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:55 pm

My video card has a pretty good sized heatsink on it but it still ran pretty hot.
I had a bunch of old processor fans laying around (like pentium 1 type) with the power connector that taps into a standard power supply plug. anyway one day I attached one of these fans to the video card heatsink just like a small
processor fan setup, and bingo, end of overheating problems.

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, and your house
Acts 16:31
timmyflight
Level 2
Level 2

Postby NiksaVel on Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:06 am

fyi... in a normal case setup cooling should be better with the case closed because of the increased airflow going from front and exiting at the back of the casing...
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby scorp123 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:50 am

NiksaVel wrote:fyi... in a normal case setup cooling should be better with the case closed because of the increased airflow going from front and exiting at the back of the casing...
In theory yes ... but on the two boxes of mine it just isn't the case. So I really have to keep those two open or else I face the same problems.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby NiksaVel on Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:54 am

depends on the case design and fans placement of course :)
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby scorp123 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:48 pm

NiksaVel wrote:depends on the case design and fans placement of course :)
Absolutely. :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby cool_gamer8119 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:12 pm

OK!!!! i get it!!! i still need help
windows is working perfectly but every attempt at grub that i make backfires. with the sgd, i did the instructions and it rebooted for some reason... grub had not installed and i was stuck still... any other ideas?
linux mint!
cool_gamer8119
Level 2
Level 2

Postby scorp123 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:55 pm

cool_gamer8119 wrote:windows is working perfectly but every attempt at grub that i make backfires.
OK, can you be more precise on that? What precisely did you try? Also, maybe you should provide us with details about your harddisks and the partitioning scheme you use. Could be that your partitioning scheme and harddisk setup is slightly different and that therefore the instructions you followed so far backfired for some reason ...
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby cool_gamer8119 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:38 pm

nevermind... i found a post on Ubuntu forums that told me exactly what u linked to but this time for some reason it worked. i used an ubuntu cd and restored grub with it...
linux mint!
cool_gamer8119
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other topics