Struggling with Flash in Official Mozilla Firefox

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Struggling with Flash in Official Mozilla Firefox

Postby obmon on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:48 am

Hello.

I have the latest Mint running.

I uninstalled the Firefox that comes with mint, because I do not choose to use duckduckgo. I have tried to set Google as the search engine using every method I could find, all to no avail. So I just uninstalled it. Then I downloaded the official Firefox from Mozilla and installed it to ~/applications/firefox. Now I can not get flash player to work.

I have tried installing flash through the mint website as well as through through the software center. Tried by downloading directly from Adobe, extracting and copying the libflashplayer.so, as both the logged-in user as well as root, to the following directories: ~/applications/firefox/components/, ~/applications/firefox, ~/applications/firefox/plugins (had to make the directory), ~/.mozilla, and ~/.mozilla/plugins...

All to no avail. Still won't work.

Any help please?
Last edited by obmon on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
obmon
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:30 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Struggling with Firefox in Mint

Postby daveinuk on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:18 am

You can change/manage search engines by clicking on the current icon in the search bar and scroll down to the bottom to - manage search engines.

You may want to check synaptic package manager for anything firefox and try to reinstall from there completely, I think this is preferable to grabbing files here and there. Someone with more insight into what you may have done uninstalling will hopefully chip in soon but those search engines are not a fixed unchangeable thing.
Lenovo ThinkPad T61 LM16-64 bit Intel T7500/2.2GHz/Cinammon 1.8 Intel GM965. Toshiba Satellite M70: LM16-32bit. Desktop:LM13 Maya 64 bit, on new Intel 3.2ghz proc/asus MB/8gb RAM
User avatar
daveinuk
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:52 pm
Location: Manchester, England.

Re: Struggling with Firefox in Mint

Postby obmon on Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:01 am

daveinuk wrote:You can change/manage search engines by clicking on the current icon in the search bar and scroll down to the bottom to - manage search engines.

Believe me. I have tried everything. You can't. At least not on my installation. Who knows. Maybe its a freak occurrence. Regardless, my problem right now is not that.

daveinuk wrote:You may want to check synaptic package manager for anything Firefox and try to reinstall from there completely, I think this is preferable to grabbing files here and there.

I don't want the one from the packet manager, because it forced duckduckgo on me. Which is why I am using an official distribution of Firefox instead.

daveinuk wrote:...but those search engines are not a fixed unchangeable thing.

That doesn't seem to be true. I tried. For days.
Last edited by obmon on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obmon
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:30 am

Re: Struggling with Firefox in Mint

Postby jsalpha2 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:44 am

jsalpha2
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:56 am

Re: Struggling with Firefox in Mint

Postby obmon on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:03 pm


Thank you, but I tried that.

The add Google button is not there. In fact, it has never been there. During my distro selection process and dual-boot attempts, Linux Mint's Firefox never had the "add google" button as shown on that page (I always simply just set Google using keyword.URL).

However, the keyword.URL in the Firefox settings has been removed in the last update. Even if you were to put it in manually, searching from the address bar still goes to duckduckgo search engine.

Once, again, thank you for the advice, but I have tried everything I could with the Mint version of Firefox. I have moved on. Now I need to get flash player working with my Mozilla version of Firefox.
obmon
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:30 am

Re: Struggling with Flash in Official Mozilla Firefox

Postby Flemur on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:09 pm

<I>The add Google button is not there. In fact, it has never been there.</I>

I saw it (two of them, one for 'google scholar') just a minute ago. ??

<I>Now I need to get flash player working with my Mozilla version of Firefox.</I>

I use a mozilla version of FF (v 18.0 from https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org ... /releases/) and flash works fine.

This is what I did:
- install FF and flash from repositories (I just left them installed): I'm guessing that uninstalling FF is why your flash isn't working.
- download some version from the above ftp link, extract it to some local directory, say ~/fftemp.
- "$ which firefox" (= /usr/bin/firefox, which is a link to /usr/lib/firefox/firefox.sh)
- delete everything from /usr/lib/firefox EXCEPT firefox.sh, which isn't in the mozilla version.
- copy everything from ~/fftemp to /usr/lib/firefox.
- done. The files /usr/bin/firefox and /usr/lib/firefox/firefox.sh are the originals, everything else is the "new" firefox.
Mint 16/Xfce/fluxbox, Manjaro/fluxbox, LMDE/MATE
User avatar
Flemur
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Struggling with Flash in Official Mozilla Firefox

Postby obmon on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:33 pm

Flemur wrote:I saw it (two of them, one for 'google scholar') just a minute ago. ??


hey man.. your guess is as good as mine! I ain't lying to you.. I don't have it. No matter.. on to your steps..

Thanks for the steps! Before I follow them (by deleting my installation and reinstalling mint's version to start fresh), should I, or shouldn't do the copy steps as superuser?
obmon
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:30 am

Re: Struggling with Flash in Official Mozilla Firefox

Postby linuxviolin on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:01 pm

To add the Google Search Engine to Firefox you could try for instance http://mycroftproject.com/. You can also try https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=add+google+search+to+firefox+search+bar&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a...

But in the first place, why not just use DDG? It is quite good and more secure and it takes care to your privacy. You could read this: https://duckduckgo.com/privacy and look at this page: http://donttrack.us/, and also at the links at the bottom of the page.Google records, looks, listens, tracks... you! Google does everything but respects your privacy.

In place of DDG, you can also use https://startpage.com/ which is also good and respectful (https://startpage.com/eng/protect-privacy.html and https://startpage.com/eng/prism-program-exposed.html)

And if you can not add the Google Search Engine to Firefox, you can also just use Firefox on Windows... :D
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
User avatar
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2055
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: France

Re: Struggling with Flash in Official Mozilla Firefox

Postby obmon on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:02 pm



.. I feel a little insulted by this. I know how to use Google.

Mycroft I haven't stumbled across before and I suppose it would work.. though, a plugin just to search the way I want? Anyway, I still prefer to use an unbranded version of Firefox. Don't see the point of going backwards now. I just need flash to work.

linuxviolin wrote:But in the first place, why not just use DDG? It is quite good and more secure and it takes care to your privacy. You could read this: https://duckduckgo.com/privacy and look at this page: http://donttrack.us/, and also at the links at the bottom of the page.Google records, looks, listens, tracks... you! Google does everything but respects your privacy.

In place of DDG, you can also use https://startpage.com/ which is also good and respectful (https://startpage.com/eng/protect-privacy.html and https://startpage.com/eng/prism-program-exposed.html)


I use DDG, on a separate iceweasel installation set to run only with Tor for anything I feel might be "sensitive" or "dark web".. but most of my searches don't reveal any sensitive information whatsoever, and they mostly constitute the mainstream web. I like Google's search results and frankly, their aesthetic. I feel like I'm using altavista circa 1996 again with DDG.

And lets be honest for a second.. we are talking about mountains and mountains of data. Unless 90% of your search involves chemical ingredients for dangerous weapons, the algorithms are unlikely to even know you exist.

linuxviolin wrote:And if you can not add the Google Search Engine to Firefox, you can also just use Firefox on Windows... :D


Not. A. Chance. Windows is for Steam only.
obmon
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:30 am

Re: Struggling with Flash in Official Mozilla Firefox

Postby linuxviolin on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:12 pm

obmon wrote:


.. I feel a little insulted by this. I know how to use Google.

Well, you feel insulted easily... or you have not seen the second degree. Perhaps I should have put a smiley. :wink:

obmon wrote:Mycroft I haven't stumbled across before and I suppose it would work.. though, a plugin just to search the way I want? Anyway, I still prefer to use an unbranded version of Firefox. Don't see the point of going backwards now. I just need flash to work.

Mycroft is recommended in MozillaZine, http://kb.mozillazine.org/Search_Bar:

To add new search engines to the Search Bar, click the search icon, click "Manage Search Engines -> Get more search engines..." You will be taken to the Search Engines page at Mozilla Add-ons where some of the more popular search plugins can be installed. (A more comprehensive collection of search plugins is available at Mycroft.)

And it just adds the search engine in the search box, with the others. This is not what you wanted?

About Flash, well, this is curious. Personally, I have not really had some problem with it in Firefox in several distros. You'll have to investigate further... Sorry.

obmon wrote:I like Google's search results and frankly, their aesthetic.

Oh my God! :evil:

obmon wrote:but most of my searches don't reveal any sensitive information whatsoever, and they mostly constitute the mainstream web.

Well, even for non-sensitive things I don't want to be tracked, recorded, monitored etc. Even your mails are kept, read, monitored... in Gmail. Google became a threat to our liberty and privacy.

obmon wrote:And lets be honest for a second.. we are talking about mountains and mountains of data. Unless 90% of your search involves chemical ingredients for dangerous weapons, the algorithms are unlikely to even know you exist.

I don't think so at all...
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
User avatar
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2055
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: France

Re: Struggling with Flash in Official Mozilla Firefox

Postby obmon on Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:18 pm

linuxviolin wrote:And it just adds the search engine in the search box, with the others. This is not what you wanted?

yeah.. well, to search from the address bar, which I imagine this does. I don't want to go backward just yet though. I want to figure out this flash issue.

linuxviolin wrote:
obmon wrote:I like Google's search results and frankly, their aesthetic.

Oh my God! :evil:

obmon wrote:but most of my searches don't reveal any sensitive information whatsoever, and they mostly constitute the mainstream web.

Well, even for non-sensitive things I don't want to be tracked, recorded, monitored etc. Even your mails are kept, read, monitored... in Gmail. Google became a threat to our liberty and privacy.

obmon wrote:And lets be honest for a second.. we are talking about mountains and mountains of data. Unless 90% of your search involves chemical ingredients for dangerous weapons, the algorithms are unlikely to even know you exist.

I don't think so at all...


What's wrong with their aesthetic? I think it works.. anyway, privacy issue is a long back and forth topic.. My thoughts are..

I guess I don't feel my l liberty is at stake here. I honestly don't feel as though they have anything on me that can be used against. Sure, they might know some things that my friends might not know, but so what? If some of my secrets "come out of the closet" (the worst they can do to me with my information), then so what? My life and livelihood is not put at risk by my online habits. I may have difficulty getting a job, if say my employer can see my **** tastes, but then I wouldn't want to work for him anyway. That is all the risk I can see.. I'm just a normal guy after-all. The day I decide to organize an anarcho-captalist revolution targeting the whole world simultaneously, I will make sure to keep my communications and browsing on the dark net! :D
obmon
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:30 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Other topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests