mdm.conf

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Andy Crowd

mdm.conf

Post by Andy Crowd »

Hi!

I am learning me about linux by crashing and recovering. And now I got a problem with autologon, I am using GUI in cinnamon for account management if I change settings for user autologon then it does not working, It stuck only on the first user that I registred with admin rights. I deactivated splashscreen on start up to see boot process. And when I remove mdm.conf then I cannot make to rebuild it with some deault settings (I am making full back up of /etc/mdm folder before any changes). Mostly of problems begane after I used "dpkg-divert" with some command line, that I cannot remembe, to stop autostart of X server and I got mdm.conf_divert file in the /etc/mdm folder. I used "diff" to compare files with backup mdm.conf file but they were same, mdm.conf became renamed to mdm.conf_devert :roll: . And it came a lot of crashes and some of them I could fix but some still left.

1) How can I fix login screen back for showing on start and how can I make it with out timer for autologon when logged out.
2) How can rebuild mdm.conf if it will be missing
3) How can I remove cinnamon with all conf files and how can I make it to create new default files when installed.
4) How can I make same as in "3" with X server.

It is very limited information about mdm.conf file and conf files for cinnamon.

I tried fix it by:
'''I am using sudo bash for easy way...''''

apt-get install mdm --reinstall
apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon
dpkg-reconfigure mdm
dpkg-reconfigure lightmd
dpkg-reconfigure cinnamon
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

It will be nice to be able managing this kind of crashes :evil: :D

Thank you for any help you can give!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Andy Crowd

Re: mdm.conf

Post by Andy Crowd »

I found mdmsetup to remove timer and show login screen but after loging out and in again then it is "freezing" (black screen and mouse with busy cursor). When it happen I still can go in to console, stop mdm and startx server again (I not getting GUI login screen) but when I am trying to start mdm from console then I getting same black screen with busy mouse and cannot go in to console again and have to restart computer but it looks like that it not hang whole computer, I still can push the power button and see the shutdown screen with a text log.

"dpkg-divert" that I wrote about before is resposeble for most of my problems.
Andy Crowd

[SOLVED] mdm.conf

Post by Andy Crowd »

Hi again!

I fixed it by easy way ... removed all old *dm related and intstalled gdm instead.

# use to config some of service startups
apt-get install rcconf
rccconf

# remove ## I had to use "apt-get remove" few times for them.. could not remove completly from the first time and to check that they are realy removed
apt-get remove mdm
apt-get remove lightdm

update-rc.d -f mdm remove
update-rc.d -f lightdm remove

# to find and remove conf files and folders that left
# !!! Do not forget do back up with description of full path folders where each of them were found
find / | grep "mdm" | less
find / | grep "lightdm" | less

I uinstalled mdm and lightdm and did backup of all related config files and folders before remove.
After that I installed gdm instead and it works.

:D

Thank you for all your help ;P

Return to “Other topics”