Forum search ignores important words

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Forum search ignores important words

Postby Emerson Prado on Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:46 am

"MDM", "menu" and "face" were some I tried to search and got a warning saying these words were ignored for being too common. But I had a problem with my MDM login menu or face browser, and couldn't search the forum for previous messages. Specially "menu" is important when combined with other words (like "mint menu", etc.). Is there something to do about it?
Thanks,
Emerson
Emerson Prado
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Forum search ignores important words

Postby catweazel on Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:52 am

Use google.

<search terms> site:forums.linuxmint.com
Mint Testing Team & Mint Donor #3606
KDE 4.12.0, custom preemptive kernel 3.12.5,
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz, 16GB 2666MHz XMP,
4 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSDs in RAID0,
6TB HW RAID10, dual 24" Acer X243H,
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 680 Super Overclock
catweazel
Level 7
Level 7

Postby deminted on Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:43 pm

I completely agree with Emerson Prado - at times I have been very frustrated at being unable to find an answer here because of words "too common", or astoundingly just not returning results.
Am I the only person that is surprised that there are zero results for "System Monitor" (system-monitor), when it often does not seem to be in accord with top?

Very often it's the very basic things that noobs need help with, getting a no-find here will just send them round the bend.

Catweazel is right to an extent - in fact the inadequacy of the forum search leads me to bypass the forum altogether most times, I just head straight for a w³ search [linux mint whatever] - but is that really a good thing?

The fact is that the forum search is broken oft times, for many purposes, and needs fixing.

It's frustrating. It's off-putting for new users, who don't want to spend hours being led around in circles. And it's an absurd waste of resources.
deminted
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Habitual on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:22 pm

catweazel wrote:Use google.

<search terms> site:forums.linuxmint.com

It's never broken.
My DorkBlog
Cirrhus9.com - Managed HA VDSs and Scalable grid solutions.
Habitual
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Dngrsone on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:37 pm

I would argue that it is a greater crime to expend finite resources (on forum servers) performing a search returning hundreds or thousands of hits for a common word search when could obtain the same or similar results by going with catweazel's suggestion and exploiting the more extensive resources of Google inc.

Additionally, by using Google for a more thorough search with more specific terms may return better results across a more broad spectrum of help sites.

Unless, of course, you are looking for a specific thread in Mint Linux forums, then Catweazel's suggestion is still a good way to go, though one might think about using more specific search terms, like individual user names involved in the discussion and such.
Dngrsone
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Other topics