file operations slowing

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

file operations slowing

Postby giraffes_rule on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:59 pm

I am attempting to transfer files from a linux mint computer - running 4GB of RAM and the latest LTS version of linux mint - to a memory stick. The file operations speed started off at about 8MB/s and has slowly dropped down to 100 KB/s. Is this standard? Can it be fixed?
giraffes_rule
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: file operations slowing

Postby computerbob on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:47 pm

Looks like no one is going to answer this. My thoughts are: try a different usb stick to see if the issue corrects. And what if, like SSDs, you can't write to a memory location until it is reset to zero. With SSDs we have to enable Trim, which is software and goes around reseting deleted memory back to zero. Bottom line. I hate USB sticks. They're slow and unreliable. I've installed front Sata docks in all my computers. If I like, I can copy 1TB of data to a notebook (pocket) sized Sata drive, which is seen as an internal drive. I'm getting 90MB/s copying from one Sata drive to another. I can use grsync to make and update my backups.
Since SSDs need Trim, I use a SSD for my system and programs. My files are stored to regular spinning drives. So the SSDs are essentially read only and the magnetic drives are read write.
computerbob
Level 4
Level 4

Re: file operations slowing

Postby DrHu on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:58 pm

You could start by checking the rate of usb data transfers
http://linux-howto-guide.blogspot.ca/20 ... speed.html
Code: Select all
hdparm settings..

--won't hurt to check the settings available..

Also you may want to make sure the properties of the mounted USB device is correct, that is 2x or 3x (should you have a usb 3x device)
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Other topics