Linux Mint 16 Petra random shutdowns

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Linux Mint 16 Petra random shutdowns

Postby rene.olivo on Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:36 am

Hello,

My computer keeps randomly shutting down, I can't even identify what triggers it. Sometimes I move the mouse, some times I play a youtube video, sometimes I click an icon, etc. The weird thing is that it doesn't suddenly power off but does a proper shutdown with the linux mint logo showing up and everything.

Here are my specs:

Code: Select all
System:    Host: rene-linux-mint Kernel: 3.11.0-12-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.1)
           Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 16 Petra
Machine:   System: Gateway product: P-7805u version: Gateway MG1
           Mobo: Gateway model: IMV Bios: Phoenix version: 9C.20.00 date: 07/29/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9044.14
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G94M [GeForce 9800M GTS] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau Resolution: 1920x1200@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV94 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.2.1 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.11.0-12-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel WiFi Link 5100 driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Marvell 88E8071 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: sky2 ver: 1.30 port: 3000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 820.2GB (2.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS72323 size: 320.1GB
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: ST9500423AS size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 411G used: 16G (4%) fs: ext4 ID: /boot size: 184M used: 41M (24%) fs: ext2
           ID: swap-1 size: 2.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 83.0C mobo: 82.0C gpu: 74.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 179 Uptime: 4 min Memory: 906.7/7981.2MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.1 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4

Thanks for your kind help!
rene.olivo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint 16 Petra random shutdowns

Postby computerbob on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:41 am

I've had weird shut down issues with Mint16. Suggest you go to web site Upubuntu and upgrade your kernel to 3.11.6.
Last edited by computerbob on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
computerbob
Level 4
Level 4

Postby rene.olivo on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:25 am

computerbob wrote:I've had weird shutsown issues with Mint16. Suggest you go to web site Upubuntu and upgrade your kernel to 3.11.6.

Thanks for the reply, computerbob. Something quite weird happened. I upgraded to 3.12.6 since that was the latest version on UpUbuntut and I think it disabled my video card since cinnamon doesn't want to start and I can't run Minecraft, which I noticed was the fastet app to make my laptop shutdown.

So this may be a video card issue. The strange thing is that playing a video on youtube would make it crash and Minecraft made it crash after 1 or 2 minutes of gameplay, but tests run using Phoronix so far never made the laptop shutdown and those would take hours to complete.

Now I'm not sure how to proceed. I'm not sure how to test what's wrong with my video card and how to enable it again after it was some how disabled by the upgrade -_-

Any hints would be appreciated.
rene.olivo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby computerbob on Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:13 pm

There's probably nothing wrong with your video card. The linux community is plagued with nVidia issues. Last year, Linus publicly gave the finger to the Nvidia corporation. They won't release their source code because it's more important to protect their patents than for their linux users to have video.

I'm waiting for Intel to build a better integrated video driver into their CPUs. Then I won't have to rely on nVidia, and I will be free at last. Intel is almost there. My Hazwell i7 Quad core will play all but the most difficult 1920x1080 vids. I had to reluctantly add a PCIe-16 210 1GB card to play that last vid.

Intel's next build should do the trick. In the mean time, I can't use any kernel above 3.11.6 or I crash.
computerbob
Level 4
Level 4

Postby rene.olivo on Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:21 am

Oh my, oh my... what am I supposed to do!!! And here I was thinking of finally making the jump from Windows to Linux, no string attached!!!

Is there no way to install the proprietary driver? I remember that was an option ages ago.

Thanks.
rene.olivo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby computerbob on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:00 am

You can change your video driver.
Open system settings
Device drivers
usually choose the recommended
On my machine, kernel 3.11.6 works good for Mint16
When I tried kernel 3.12.0 I lost my boot loader and had
to do a fresh reload.
computerbob
Level 4
Level 4

Postby xenopeek on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:23 am

Very bad advice to upgrade your kernel to an unsupported version, without determining a cause for the random shutdown first. Don't upgrade your kernel beyond the ones officially support by Ubuntu's kernel team, as otherwise you will outpace Nvidia and end up with a kernel version that isn't yet supported by the Nvidia driver. See the commands on Upubuntu website for removing the kernel again.

Once you've done that, and upon your next random shutdown, hold down left shift key while the computer boots up again to get the GRUB boot menu to show. Write down the current time and let the computer wait here for 5-10 minutes, so you create a clear time gap in the system logs. Then continue to boot Linux Mint. Open the file /var/log/syslog in Gedit to read the system logs, or use the System Log Viewer application if you prefer that. Scroll down and try the find the time your wrote down; it should be clear as it is followed by a gap in time where you waited. Read the logging before this gap, perhaps the last 2-3 pages. Are there any errors or warnings there? Hopefully there are, so we get a clue why it is shutting down.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby rene.olivo on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:53 am

xenopeek wrote:Very bad advice to upgrade your kernel to an unsupported version, without determining a cause for the random shutdown first. Don't upgrade your kernel beyond the ones officially support by Ubuntu's kernel team, as otherwise you will outpace Nvidia and end up with a kernel version that isn't yet supported by the Nvidia driver. See the commands on Upubuntu website for removing the kernel again.

Once you've done that, and upon your next random shutdown, hold down left shift key while the computer boots up again to get the GRUB boot menu to show. Write down the current time and let the computer wait here for 5-10 minutes, so you create a clear time gap in the system logs. Then continue to boot Linux Mint. Open the file /var/log/syslog in Gedit to read the system logs, or use the System Log Viewer application if you prefer that. Scroll down and try the find the time your wrote down; it should be clear as it is followed by a gap in time where you waited. Read the logging before this gap, perhaps the last 2-3 pages. Are there any errors or warnings there? Hopefully there are, so we get a clue why it is shutting down.

thank you xenopeek! I shall do this, though it may take a while. The random reboots still persist, but now they are less frequent. I'll try to wreck it and come back with the results.

Thanks again.
rene.olivo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rene.olivo on Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:20 pm

Hello Guys, it's me again!

And here's probably the culprit:
Jan 11 15:09:57 rene-linux-mint kernel: [ 6156.178946] thermal thermal_zone0: critical temperature reached(102 C),shutting down

It seems the video card is overheating? How can I fix this issue?

Thanks
rene.olivo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:41 pm

Looks like you are currently using the nouveau driver, that's the open source driver for your graphics card. You probably want to install the proprietary (closed source) driver instead, which generally has better support and more complete feature set. Open Driver Manager from your menu and see if it has Nvidia drivers for your graphics card.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby rene.olivo on Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:21 pm

xenopeek wrote:Looks like you are currently using the nouveau driver, that's the open source driver for your graphics card. You probably want to install the proprietary (closed source) driver instead, which generally has better support and more complete feature set. Open Driver Manager from your menu and see if it has Nvidia drivers for your graphics card.

Actually Xnopeek, when I use the Nvidia Driver it does the same but more frequently!
rene.olivo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other topics