Computer randomly shutdown?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Computer randomly shutdown?

Postby Incentive I.C on Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:18 pm

My computer has done this twice in the last 2 hours. Is there a reason for for that. The laptop is about 4 years so is this a sign for something worse? I did accidentally bump it with me knee and it might have been were the HDD is but right now its running okay. Should i be worried?
The best way to learn from it is break it OS's (is there a plural for OS?) included.
Incentive I.C
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Computer randomly shutdown?

Postby computerbob on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:37 am

When I work on a laptop, the 1st thing I do is pull the battery. Then plug in the power cord. I've seen totally dead laptops work fine without the battery.
computerbob
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Computer randomly shutdown?

Postby erfunath on Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:47 am

Either you have an overheating problem (common in older laptops) or you have a short in there. The first is far more likely. Depending on the laptop - if it's an HP (especially of the dv6000 variety) you may have a loose graphics chip. I'd open the sucker up (if you're comfortable) and blow out all of the dust, see if that helps. If not, look up your specific model and see what other people are reporting.
erfunath
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics