Computer randomly shutdown?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Incentive I.C

Computer randomly shutdown?

Post by Incentive I.C »

My computer has done this twice in the last 2 hours. Is there a reason for for that. The laptop is about 4 years so is this a sign for something worse? I did accidentally bump it with me knee and it might have been were the HDD is but right now its running okay. Should i be worried?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
computerbob

Re: Computer randomly shutdown?

Post by computerbob »

When I work on a laptop, the 1st thing I do is pull the battery. Then plug in the power cord. I've seen totally dead laptops work fine without the battery.
erfunath

Re: Computer randomly shutdown?

Post by erfunath »

Either you have an overheating problem (common in older laptops) or you have a short in there. The first is far more likely. Depending on the laptop - if it's an HP (especially of the dv6000 variety) you may have a loose graphics chip. I'd open the sucker up (if you're comfortable) and blow out all of the dust, see if that helps. If not, look up your specific model and see what other people are reporting.

Return to “Other topics”