Sluggish new install

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Sluggish new install

Postby aahepp on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:45 am

I put a new SSD into my trading pc and loaded up a new install of Mint 16 Mate x64. This pc houses 8 XEON 2.33GHz cores (2 physical 4 cores each physical), 10GB of ram, and support 10 monitors. (2) NVS440s (4 monitors support each card) and a NVS 285. I used the Nvidia 304 driver included and was able to set up all the monitors in their configuration using xinerama.

What I have noticed is that this machine is extremely slow and sluggish opening up anything. Since this is just used for stock trading the only thing I run is firefox to launch the java applett. IceTea takes about 3 minutes before it will even begin to load up the java program.

I thought it may be the video causing the problems but the movement between desktops is snappy and crisp. I had the "Resource Monitor" open and notice that even idle there was cores spiking to 100% with just a fresh reboot. Never was able to find the process that was causing these spikes.

So for the time being I had to go back to my Windows 7 boot to be able to trade for the days until I can figure this one out.

Any way to troubleshoot which processes are slowing this thing to a crawl with nothing running or installed.
aahepp
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Sluggish new install

Postby computerbob on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:35 am

Look at processes in system monitor.
computerbob
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Other topics