something froze

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

something froze

Postby NiksaVel on Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:22 pm

Hey guys,

this happened to me twice now... seems like something froze inside mint and I don't know what to do... everything works okay, exept shut down button and terminal (at least that's what I noticed)...

I want to shut down but it just wont go away :lol: :lol: I've tried the quit button in mintMenu, regular menu and clicking my hardware power button, neither produced any result... than I tried to shut it down through cli, but terminal wont load either... other programs work.

result is the secont hardware reset so far in the last few weeks since I'm a mint user.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby scorp123 on Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:40 pm

Are you running Beryl or some other 3D candy stuff? I have seen the behaviour you describe on my system when the graphics card gets too hot ...
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby NiksaVel on Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:57 pm

no no... just regular install... I find beryl to be too much trouble...

and no it's not overheating... I set this comp together :) and it also has hardware temp monitoring on frontpanel...

it seems to be happen when I click the quit button inside a minute or so from returning from suspend state...
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby NiksaVel on Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:32 pm

okay... here's a real brain puzzler...

it happened again a couple of times... but this last time I didn't restart anything and left mint to just remain turned on... now and than I would surf the web looking for references as I was studying...

than out of the blue after some 15-30 minutes a shut down screen popped up... I was like... xxx?? Clicked cancel and it got right back three times... than I recalled that I tried to click the "Quit" button exactly four times...

so something was holding it back for almost half an hour...
Last edited by Oscar799 on Wed May 12, 2010 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate acronym deleted
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby NiksaVel on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:19 pm

Just realised that Open Office is also one of the programs (the entire suite) that fails to start when I am in this partly functional state...
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Other topics