Unlocking twice after upgrade to Mint 16

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Aminga

Unlocking twice after upgrade to Mint 16

Post by Aminga »

I recently upgraded from Mint 15 to 16 (not a fresh install) and now it seems that two instatnces of screen lock are running. When system locks the screen and I try to unlock, it displays the first screen, I enter password then it displays the second unlock screen and I enter the password again. I am entering the correct password each time. The first unlock screen's background in my current desktop background (Mint 16) and the second unlock screen's background is the previous Mint 15 desktop bacground. How do I check and find out if multiple instances or different screen locks are running? Is this related to the new screen lock feature in Mint 16?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
computerbob

Re: Unlocking twice after upgrade to Mint 16

Post by computerbob »

I would load Mint16 from scratch. I've never done an upgrade of an OS and I never will. You can never know what you have or what's conflicting.
iSeeTriangles

Re: Unlocking twice after upgrade to Mint 16

Post by iSeeTriangles »

Had the same thing. Linux Mint upgrades seem to be messier than Ubuntu's.

The goal is to disable the autostart entry that's running GNOME screensaver. First, make sure the entry shows up when running the startup program manager (run this from a terminal):

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i "s/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/" /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-screensaver.desktop
Now start the startup program manager:

Code: Select all

gnome-session-properties
(or run "Startup Applications" from the menu) and deactivate the "Screensaver" entry that's calling gnome-screensaver.

Problem solved.
Last edited by iSeeTriangles on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aminga

SOLVED - Unlocking twice after upgrade to Mint 16

Post by Aminga »

Thank you @iSeeTriangles for the instructions and explanations. I followed them and it fixed my proble. Thanks!

Return to “Other topics”