[Help] How can I make Window snapshot scroll?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Distro-Don

[Help] How can I make Window snapshot scroll?

Post by Distro-Don »

How do I take a snapshot of a window to upload to the Mint forum and have the scroll bar work? This is what I have now and it doesn't scroll, as you can see.
Thanks for any help.
[/size]Image
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Distro-Don

Re: [Help] How can I make Window snapshot scroll?

Post by Distro-Don »

Anyone know how to do this? Someone must as I have seen them scroll many times on this forum. Please!
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Might supply WM used Mate? Cinnamon? KDE?,etc...
As each has their own default snapshot tools or ability to add a snapshot tool from the repo's.
That may support scrollable window capture.

As I use KDE and it's snapshot tool doesn't appear to have a scrollable window option.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&t=132081
But searching the repo's may show an alternative available.

Or alternative method would be capture top half window.
Then scroll down capture 2nd window. Would require merging two images.
Or in case of posting forums or emails then inline posting 2 images on top of each other.
Distro-Don

Post by Distro-Don »

I am using Mate. I also have installed ksnapshot. I have tried Prt Scr, Alt Prt Scr and anything else that I could think of and nothing does it for me. I have no ideaopf how to post one image on top of another. Thanks for trying though.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Distro-Don wrote:I am using Mate. I also have installed ksnapshot. I have tried Prt Scr, Alt Prt Scr and anything else that I could think of and nothing does it for me. I have no ideaopf how to post one image on top of another. Thanks for trying though.
In forum use would be upload insert 1st image then right below upload and insert 2nd image so they are on top of each other.
Same for email when embedding images in email.

For other uses will be stuck with 2 separate images unless you merge them in a photo editing program that supports stitching.

Depends on your intended use which methods may be acceptable.
Distro-Don

Post by Distro-Don »

I got it to work for email but I can't get it to work in the forum.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

The forum images have a size limitations. And don't remember what they are.
You will have to be more specific what issues you are having and what forum as in here?

Find first image and then select upload attachment tab below.
Browse to image on your hardrive then click add the file.
Place cursor in body of message and select "Place inline"
solydkuser.png
SolydXK.png
Placed those two one right after the other.
Distro-Don

Post by Distro-Don »

Orbmiser wrote:The forum images have a size limitations. And don't remember what they are.
You will have to be more specific what issues you are having and what forum as in here?

Find first image and then select upload attachment tab below.
Browse to image on your hardrive then click add the file.
solydkuser.png
SolydXK.png
Placed those two one right after the other.
First, Thank you for all this help. I am 79 years old so I need detailed instructions.
I can't seem to get this right for some reason. I can:
"Find first image and then select upload attachment tab below.
Browse to image on your hardrive then click add the file."
But I can't
because I need the cursor to be able to select "Place inline"
I assume I am to do the same for the second file.
Where do I place these?
solydkuser.png
SolydXK.png
Thanks again,
/don
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Well not sure I understand

1) Click on browse button select image on your hardrive then click on "add the file" button to upload it to the forum.
dialog.jpeg
2) Then place cursor in position where you want to insert the image in the body of text in the compose message box.
And then click Place inline button to insert it into body of message box.
dialog1.jpeg
As this dialog below shows I clicked on "Place Inline" button and it inserted the code where the cursors I placed before clicking.
dialog2.jpeg

Distro-Don

Post by Distro-Don »

I can get that far but can't overwrite the 1st image with the second image in order to be able to scroll.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Distro-Don wrote:I can get that far but can't overwrite the 1st image with the second image in order to be able to scroll.
They are two separate images captured and inserted separately and individually not made into one scrollable image.
So confused by "can't overwrite the 1st image with the second image in order to be able to scroll."

As you can't make one scrollable image just a stack of two separate images.
Each image uploaded and each inserted image code into message.
Two separate apart not merged. We are Stacking two boxes on top of each other.
Not merging two boxes into a bigger scrollable box.
Distro-Don

Post by Distro-Don »

This is as far as I can get so far.
Could you please upload a snapshot that can be scrolled. And if you can, please upload simple step by step instructions, from the start to the finish, on how you accomplished this. Thanks again! /don
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Distro-Don wrote:This is as far as I can get so far.
Could you please upload a snapshot that can be scrolled. And if you can, please upload simple step by step instructions, from the start to the finish, on how you accomplished this. Thanks again! /don
Yep you uploaded them as attachments but did not insert them into the body of text.
The next step is to place cursor where you want image. Then look for place inline button will insert image into the body of text.
Then repeat for 2nd image place cursor where you want the image in the body of text before clicking on placing inline button.
Look at images I posted to see where the images are listed below the body text and there is two buttons place inline and delete.

Nope as I explained you cannot make a scrollable window. What you have presented is all there is.
Now instead of file managers. Do a copy of the browser window. In the browser capture the top half of page and save.
Then scroll the browser window down to present the bottom half of page then capture that as the 2nd capture.
Then you can post them one on top of other like your example above to cover the full content of the web page.

Return to “Other topics”