C++

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

C++

Postby oscarmeanwell on Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:48 pm

Hey,

Can anybody recommend a good c++ compiler? I am trying to switch completely from windows 7 to Linux and this is the one thing stopping me. In windows I have traditionally used windows visual express which is very good and easy to use. I want to use predominantly Linux mint with a bit of sparky Linux thrown in. Any suggestions?

P.s I have installed eclipse in mint but I just dont like it.

Thanks In advance

OM
oscarmeanwell
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: C++

Postby xenopeek on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:01 pm

You're not so much asking for a compiler then, but an IDE :) For C++ probably one of the best is Qt Creator, which is generally recommended when somebody is looking for a Visual C++ like IDE. Qt (pronounce "cute") is a framework for C++ that will let you develop graphical applications on any platform (Windows, OS X, Linux, Android, iOS, Blackberry, and many more).

You can install the package qtcreator directly from the Software Manager application in your menu.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby JosephM on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:03 pm

It sounds like you are looking for an ide since you mentioned eclipse. Give QtCreator a shot, you will probably find it more to your liking if you came from VS.
JosephM
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Monsta on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 pm

Try also CodeLite. BTW, it can import the projects from Visual Studio.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Other topics