System Shutting down

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

System Shutting down

Postby windyweather on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:35 am

I've got a LM15 system that is shutting down itself every few days. This has happened twice now. After years of no problems or behaviour of this kind.
I checked the system and other logs and it shows a few entries from 3 days ago and then the long recent stuff from the boot this evening. Nothing that I can see that's an issue.

Any insight about how to diagnose this?
Is there some setting that might have gotten set that causes the machine to shut down?
I've got several LM systems, and have had for a few years now, and none have ever done this before.
System info here:
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l550/windygamer/Other%20Bugs/Linux%20Mint%2015/Breeze2014-01-06223049.png

Thanks,
ww
windyweather
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: System Shutting down

Postby perham on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:49 am

windyweather wrote:I've got a LM15 system that is shutting down itself every few days. This has happened twice now. After years of no problems or behaviour of this kind.
I checked the system and other logs and it shows a few entries from 3 days ago and then the long recent stuff from the boot this evening. Nothing that I can see that's an issue.

Any insight about how to diagnose this?
Is there some setting that might have gotten set that causes the machine to shut down?
I've got several LM systems, and have had for a few years now, and none have ever done this before.
System info here:
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l550/windygamer/Other%20Bugs/Linux%20Mint%2015/Breeze2014-01-06223049.png

Thanks,
ww

is this a proper shutdown or sudden shutdown? if it's sudden shutdown, 99% percent of the time it's a hardware problem; 90% of that 99% is overheating problem.
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz DDR3-1600 12GB ]LinuxMint 16 Cinnamon
Intel Pentium 4 540 3.2GHz DDR-400 2GB LinuxMint 16 Mate
Intel Pentium 4 1.5 GHz 512MB Debian Jessie LXDE
perham
Level 3
Level 3

Time to retire this system I guess

Postby windyweather on Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:19 am

I guess It's time to retire this system.

Shutdown is sudden. I've seen it happen only a couple of minutes after boot.
Fan blowing on CPU is going strong and air flow is good.
No clue what's up.
I'll just build another system I guess.

Thanks,
ww
windyweather
Level 1
Level 1

Re: System Shutting down

Postby gold_finger on Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:24 pm

Long shot here: Is it possible that you may just need to just re-apply some new thermal paste to the CPU? May want to give that a try before trashing it -- can't hurt.
Add "Solved" to title of thread if solution is found. (Go to your first post and hit "Edit" button.) This helps make it easier for others to find solutions that work.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.
gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Other topics