My NTFS mounts aren't in fstab?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

My NTFS mounts aren't in fstab?

Postby Tz2001 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:41 pm

Where are the NTFS mounts stored? My /etc/fstab file looks like this:

Code: Select all
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=bcd78ba1-7e80-4722-b366-a0d8a52f7beb /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=d67ed131-d719-432a-be39-0705b258e4d8 none            swap    sw              0       0

And /etc/fstab.d is empty

Where are my NTFS mounts stored? I want to store games on the NTFS drive but steam is complaining that the partition doesn't have execute permissions... fixing this looks like a simple job if the mounts show in fstab.

Where can I view/edit this information?

Thanks.
Tz2001
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: My NTFS mounts aren't in fstab?

Postby xenopeek on Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:59 pm

You are then probably dynamically mounting the NTFS partitions--i.e., by clicking on them in your file manager (before that they aren't mounted yet, as there are no entries it /etc/fstab telling your OS to do that). Or if you have KDE, you might have userspace mounting. By default NTFS partitions are mounted without execute permissions. If you want to mount them with execute permissions, you have to configure to mount them with those permission in /etc/fstab yourself. See my example here: viewtopic.php?t=150757&p=787041#p786767
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby clfarron4 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:00 pm

I think there might be an issue using NTFS for your linux games because of the point that NTFS doesn't really respect the Linux permissions model.
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.
clfarron4
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Tz2001 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:18 pm

According to this: http://computervisionphdblog.wordpress. ... on-ubuntu/ mounting NTFS drives with execute permission is fairly trivial (I'm guessing *everything* on the drive become executable but since this is a PC and not a server, it's not a massive issue)

Thanks xenopeek, I'll try your instructions from that thread :)
Tz2001
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics