Linux mint,Coffee house wifi connection

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Linux mint,Coffee house wifi connection

Postby bernieflint on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:21 pm

Hi guys , can anyone confirm if linux mint will work on the internet coffee shop wifi systems like , starbucks or Costas in the UK, same question will LM work on the Uk transport wifi systems. bus,train ,ect. I mention this as sometimes linux systems do not show up on other systems. Anything that is unusual or is not straghtforward about linux connections to coffee shop wifi , feel free to advise, Cheers,
bernieflint
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux mint,Coffee house wifi connection

Postby Fraoch on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:34 pm

bernieflint wrote:I mention this as sometimes linux systems do not show up on other systems.

Not sure what you mean by this but a wireless access point doesn't care what client is connecting to it as long as it follows the appropriate wireless protocol. If your LM supports your wireless adapter fine, then there should be no issues.
Fraoch
Level 4
Level 4

Postby bernieflint on Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi Fraoch, thanks for the technical explanation. Apparently you are right I have searched google since the post, and other people seem to be using coffee shop wifi OK, with a few exceptions, I am going to test a LM 13 in a coffee shop and see what happens. Many thanks for the explanation. Cheers :)
bernieflint
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Lingula on Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:04 pm

There are occasionally specific wireless driver and access point combinations that behave strangely (dropped connections, AP/router spontaneously rebooting, etc...) With Intel wireless, for example, you may find much more stable performance with
Linux than with Windows XP, 7, or 8.1. On the other hand, some Broadcom devices with specific Linux drivers will mess up everyone else's wifi. In general though, as stated above, if your OS recognizes your wireless card then it should connect to just about any wireless access point.
Lingula
Level 4
Level 4

Postby bjornmu on Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:24 pm

I did have an issue with an old Linux laptop and a wireless network at a hotel in Larnaka. It would apparently connect to the wifi but had no connectivity to anywhere. It turned out the wifi did not provide a default router address. So I had to set it manually, guessing that it would be the same as the DCHP server address. I assume Windoze clients would just make that guess for me...
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Postby bernieflint on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:25 pm

Thanks for the additional advice guys. :)
bernieflint
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Other topics