Sharing a data folder between user accounts - LM16 - SOLVED

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Sharing a data folder between user accounts - LM16 - SOLVED

Postby grungy_me on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:33 am

Hello, :)

I'm wondering what is the easiest way to share a data folder between user accounts of the same Mint install that allows read & write privileges for all user accounts? And where this folder should be placed on the hard drive?

I'm currently using LinuxMint 16 64bit Cinnamon.

Thank you.
Last edited by grungy_me on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
grungy_me
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Sharing a data folder between user accounts - LM16

Postby wayne128 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:47 am

I share all data in a data partition, NTFS format, as I have Windows OS also.
I regularly backup the NTFS data partition to external USB drive, also NTFS formatted so as to be read/write/change by other OS like XP/7/8. etc

Not sure if that is easiest... but it works for me :mrgreen:
wayne128
Level 9
Level 9

Postby DataMan on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:28 am

Just set your permissions to RWX for all users. If you're using the resident file manager, just right click on the folder.

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Postby altair4 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:58 am

It all depends on what you mean by "sharing".

For example, let's say you create a folder at /home/Shared and set permissions to 777:
Code: Select all
sudo mkdir /home/Shared
sudo chmod 777 /home/Shared

It's true that all users will be able to add to and even delete any files or sub-folders they will find in that folder. What they will not be able to do is edit each others files since by default they will be owned and be writable only to the user that created it. That may very well be what you want.

If you want the ability to edit each others files or other restrictions something else is required. You might want to look at this: HowTo: Multi User Shared Local Directory

Note for Mint16: The classic way of doing this sort of thing uses the setgid bit but it also requires the default umask be set to 002. Ubuntu 13.10 ( from which Mint16 is derived ) broke the default umask mechanism and Ubuntu has no intention of fixing it for 13.10 since support ends in just a few months. For Mint16 and assuming you want full access by everyone I would suggest something like bindfs which is also covered in the HowTo.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Postby grungy_me on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:37 am

Thank you for all of your responses. I opted to go for altair4's bindfs solution which worked perfectly. The reason why is because I did not want to create a separate partition, and I did not want this shared folder to reside in the home folder of any particular user.
grungy_me
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics