Creating subfolders in the Cinnamon menu don't show - SOLVED

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grungy_me
Level 3
Level 3

Creating subfolders in the Cinnamon menu don't show - SOLVED

Post by grungy_me »

So I've discovered in LinuxMint 16 64bit Cinnamon, that when you create subfolders in the existing folders of the menu, via the menu editor (alacarte?), that the subfolders and the launchers within it do not show within the menu. And it appears in some circumstances, the example being my WINE folder, that not only do the subfolders not show, but any launchers in the subfolders just appear in the main folder which makes a big unorginized mess of the WINE folder with Windows programs typically having multiple menu entries per program. Is this a known bug, or is there a fix, or workaround? Thanks. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Creating subfolders in the Cinnamon menu don't show - LM

Post by xenopeek »

Have another look at your menu--where exactly would the contents of subfolders be shown? Exactly. The default menu of Cinnamon doesn't support subfolders, neither does the mintMenu on MATE. If you need subfolders, consider installing another menu applet. There are several different ones. Gnome Menu looks like it will support subfolders: http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/51. Install through System Settings > Applets > Get more nline.
grungy_me
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Creating subfolders in the Cinnamon menu don't show - LM

Post by grungy_me »

Hello xenopeek,

Thank you for your reply. I had no idea that Cinnamon and Mate menu didn't support subfolders. This seems like quite an over sight. Things are bound to get a bit messy in the menu when lots of applications are installed. It would seem that if this was the intended behavior, then the menu editor should not allow you to add subfolders to the menu. I do get your point that the current layout of the menu wouldn't support showing the contents of subfolders unless perhaps they expanded below and slightly to the right of the subfolder. I'll add an idea about subfolder support in the community section of LinuxMint. Thank you!

Return to “Other topics”