AAARGH

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

AAARGH

Postby db0 on Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:33 pm

I am seriously pissed at the way my linux (Bianca) installation is behaving.
  • First of all, the most annoying thing. My computer keeps freezing (no mouse moving or anything). When it does so, I cannot do anything. Cannot change desktop, cannot kill the X-Server nothing. I have no idea why this happens as it seems to be completely random (closing a programm, browsing whatever) and Windows XP boot works perfectly. Funny thing is that the music from amarok keeps on playing until the current song ends. Playing from the browser through (such as pandora) kills the music as well.
    This is amazingly frustrating, as I do not have any idea where to start looking. The Syslog does not have any indication on what is causing it.
    This was happening with Ubuntu as well, but I thought it might have been a freak incident. No luck.
  • I installed the official Nvidia Drivers using the nvidia script and later dist-upgraded my system. Initially GDM would not load so I thought I just have to recompile the module. Noooo, that would be too easy.
    I re-run the script and everything is OK, GDM loads and I work until my computer locks (see previous paragraph). I restard and GDM starts complaining again. Now I have to run this
    Code: Select all
    sudo rmmod nvidia && sudo modprobe nvidia
    every time my computer starts (after it is finished telling me gdm will not load) and then restart gdm
  • I connect to the internet using a pppoe connection. I use pppoeconf to configure it and with ubuntu it worked like a charm. Now however, almost every time I reboot, pppoe will not start. I have to run pppoeconf once more.

So, can someone please help me find out what the hell is going on before I give up in frustration?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I am running Beryl.
Anyway, as a test, I have enabled the NV driver again instead of nvidia and the PC has not frozen yet. Next I'm going to try enabling nvidia without Beryl to see if it helps
db0
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:08 pm

A few things.
The behaviour you describe for Amarok seems to be the default behaviour, so it has nothing to do with your problem.
What do you mean with the nvidia script? Envy? If not type sudo envy in a terminal and follow the instructions. It will uninstall present drivers (hopefully) and install the latest nVida drivers (without 3d)
If that doesn't help access /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change to vesa.
gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf scroll down to the only section called just "Device" You should see Driver "nvidia" change nvidia to vesa and you load a really "hopeless" video driver but one that mostly works.
If you have no problems (except bad video) then you have isolated the problem to the nVidia drivers.
As for pppoe see if your modem can handle the pppoe connection all by itself, that's generally the best solution and the way I have it.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby db0 on Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:14 pm

Husse wrote:A few things.
The behaviour you describe for Amarok seems to be the default behaviour, so it has nothing to do with your problem.
What do you mean with the nvidia script? Envy? If not type sudo envy in a terminal and follow the instructions. It will uninstall present drivers (hopefully) and install the latest nVida drivers (without 3d)

No no, I meant the official nvidia script that comes along with the drivers. The one that compiles the kernel module itself.
If that doesn't help access /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change to vesa.
gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf scroll down to the only section called just "Device" You should see Driver "nvidia" change nvidia to vesa and you load a really "hopeless" video driver but one that mostly works.
If you have no problems (except bad video) then you have isolated the problem to the nVidia drivers.

I've already dropped back to the nv driver and the system seems not to be freezing now. I'll see how it goes.
As for pppoe see if your modem can handle the pppoe connection all by itself, that's generally the best solution and the way I have it.

Unfortunately my modem cannot handle the pppoe connection. The way it's setup, the only solution I have is to initiate a pppoe connection through software on my computer. It is very strange that this works sometimes after the boot but not always.

Thanks for the help
db0
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:09 pm

I think the driver envy installs is nvidia not nv, I'm on Win XP right now - dual boot - I like the simple game Spider in XP :) But - follow the advice in my signature :)
As for pppoe I beleive this can depend on the order of things. If the modem is turned on first and the computer then may bring a different result than the other way round.
I've never met a pppoe incapable modem in the real world although I'm well aware of them. Alls orts of oddities can happen if your connection is not set up right. :(
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby NiksaVel on Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:47 pm

and Windows XP boot works perfectly.

:lol: Oxymoron
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby db0 on Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:10 am

Husse wrote:I think the driver envy installs is nvidia not nv, I'm on Win XP right now - dual boot - I like the simple game Spider in XP :) But - follow the advice in my signature :)

What is envy? When I say I dropped back to nv I mean that I edited xorg.conf and replaced "nvidia" with "nv"

PS: If I followed your signature, I would have never installed Linux in the first place ;)
As for pppoe I beleive this can depend on the order of things. If the modem is turned on first and the computer then may bring a different result than the other way round.
I've never met a pppoe incapable modem in the real world although I'm well aware of them. Alls orts of oddities can happen if your connection is not set up right. :(

Well my modem is always on. It is quite peculiar that sometimes the connection initiates while not always.
Unfortunately I do not have access to the modem settings as the provider does not give me any username or password for the modem (or even local ip address although I managed to discover it) so I cannot set it up to connect by itself. I don't even know if it has an internal router.

and Windows XP boot works perfectly.

Oxymoron

Well, yes. I meant to say that WinXP does not freeze randomly but that might have more to do with the nvidia driver for linux after all.
db0
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NiksaVel on Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:49 am

envy is a script that automates installation of nvidia/ati graphic drivers...

what you need to do it:

hit ctrl-alt-f1 - this will take you out of your x session into a terminal

there login and type

Code: Select all
envy

which will start envy.. start by uninstalling your current driver (choice 2) and after the process is finished select 1 to install the latest nvidia driver... for all other option select the default (hit enter) and you'll be back in x with the latest drivers...

simple as that
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby db0 on Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:10 am

Is the script included with the base Mint installation? I'll try it when I get home
db0
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NiksaVel on Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:15 am

yes it is... one of the wonders of Linux Mint :D
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby db0 on Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:38 am

Well, I've been pretty spoiled by Automatix and EasyUbuntu so I'm not easily excited :)
db0
Level 1
Level 1

Postby db0 on Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:21 pm

Used Envy. Working with Nvidia drivers now. I'll let you know if it freezes again
db0
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NiksaVel on Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:14 pm

good luck :)
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby db0 on Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:49 pm

Well, good luck seems to be upon me :)
No freezes yet. I will activate beryl later on and cross my fingers :)
db0
Level 1
Level 1

Postby db0 on Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:52 am

Ok, it's definitely the Nvidia drivers. The computer did not crash until I went to sleep. Then the 3d screensaver kicked in and the machine was frozen in the morning I woke up.

Any idea what I can do?
db0
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NiksaVel on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:57 am

try starting the 3d screensaver manually ... to see if it freezes as soon as you start it or after a certain time... maybe the card is overheating? :?
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby db0 on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:04 am

Doubtful, I can play 3d intensive games on my WinXP installation without any problems.
db0
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NiksaVel on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:06 am

you never know... could be a driver problem for your specific card/manufacturer under linux causing it to not cool properly... you should also open nvidia x server settings/thermal monitor... and we'll know for sure :)
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby db0 on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:30 am

Sure. I'll try that when I get back. Unfortunately AFAIK my card does not monitor temperature (strange but true) but i'll give it a try :(
db0
Level 1
Level 1

Postby db0 on Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:50 pm

No, no thermal monitor on my card :(
db0
Level 1
Level 1

Postby db0 on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:30 pm

Known problem It seems :( :( :(
db0
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Other topics