Want to try programing

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dw5437
Level 3
Level 3

Want to try programing

Post by dw5437 »

What do I need to try some programing. Do you use the text editor or something else? I have gcc installed on Elyssa is that going to be enough? Do I need vi or vim? In other words I don't have a clue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Want to try programing

Post by Acid_1 »

From the sounds of it (correct me if I'm wrong) you haven't done any before. In your scenario, gedit (or kedit) is have what you'd want to use. Start by learning HTML. Very easy, and helps you get the idea's and some concepts behind it. Then if you want CSS (partly to learn, partly cause web pages are _way_ easier when you know CSS), then after that, I'd say learn python. Just my thoughts. Google w3schools. They have good good tutorials for new people. :mrgreen:
dw5437
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dw5437 »

Thanks Acid. Thanks for the links also.
miket

Post by miket »

Hi !
dw5437 wrote:What do I need to try some programing. Do you use the text editor or something else? I have gcc installed on Elyssa is that going to be enough? Do I need vi or vim? In other words I don't have a clue.
It depends on what sort of programming you want to do ?

If you are looking to write programs using the C programming language then a text editor and gcc is all you really need.
"vi" and "vim" are actually the same thing, the program just behaves differently depending on how it is called.

Vi is a great editor, I have been using it for 20 years or more ... but it is quite a steep learning curve as it's command structure is probably
vastly different to anything you have used before.

If you are used to a GUI based O/S like windows then perhaps gedit or one of the other GUI editors would be a better choice for you, it's a personal thing
and something you will have to try before you can decide which is best for you.

If you want to get into programming then I would suggest you have a go at shell programming, the default BASH shell is extremely powerful
and doesn't need compiling, it's interpreted at runtime.
There are many excellent BASH resources on the net full of hints and tips on shell programming, and you'll be amazed as to what can be done
with a simple shell script.

Good luck !

Mike.
eeezzzeee

Post by eeezzzeee »

If you are looking for a decent text editor (non terminal) for learning to program I would throw Kate out there. It is available in synaptic and has a bunch of cool features that may help you learn like syntax highlighting and things of that nature. As acid_1 said python is a good language to look into, tons of documentation and support on the net.
adrianx

Post by adrianx »

Another excellent editor, in my opinion is, Geany. You'll find it in the Mint Software Portal under Programming. You could also install it by typing sudo apt-get install geany at the command prompt.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

If your into hardware/embedded development, check out PikLab for an MPLAB replacement. If your doing work with other chips your best luck is to use a text editor and standard C compiler. Linux is pretty limited with embedded, but at least the PIC is a good place to start. There are also a few ports of Parallax's IDE tools for the STAMP chips. It'll get better over time, but until then we wait.

In regards to web development I say Aptana Studio hands down is my favorite. The community edition is free, and very powerful. It's updated and improved regularly. You can easily edit HTML, CSS, PHP, and I think there is even plugins for Ruby. One of the other nice things is the editable preview pane. That's nice for checking browser compatibility. You could always just go to http://www.browsershots.com to check as well.

When it comes to application development I stick to Netbeans because I do most of that work in C and Java. You can check out Eclipse as well. I'm not too familiar with many others since I haven't looked around too much. You might want to consider learning BASIC first. That's where a lot of people start. I am not sure but I think that Mono Develop may have a visual basic capability?

Return to “Other topics”