Mint has all of a sudden become unstable

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint has all of a sudden become unstable

Postby manishk on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:45 am

This thing has happened about 4-5 times now...I was running (only) amaroK and the comp just hangs...it woouldn't respond to any keys or mouse. Not even Alt+Ctrl+Backspace.

Well, also the screensaver was on.

The only major change that I did recently was use fglrx as my driver. Can it be the reason??
"...Many people can only keep on fighting when they expect to win. I'm not like that, I always expect to lose. I fight anyway, and sometimes I win."

-Stallman
manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby NiksaVel on Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:01 am

possibly...

I'd suggest the following:

disable screensave
if the problem persists
revert to previous xorg.conf

also... I had similar instabilities when playing around with custom themes icons and stuff... one particular icon theme crashed my X permenantly... had to login through terminal and delete it...
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby manishk on Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:37 am

Thanks.

I installed fglrx only because I wanted to try Beryl...it dint work. So, rolling back will be a good option for me...now the doubt is will replacing the current xorg.conf with the old one suffice or will I have to tweak some other things??
"...Many people can only keep on fighting when they expect to win. I'm not like that, I always expect to lose. I fight anyway, and sometimes I win."

-Stallman
manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby NiksaVel on Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:40 am

it should be enough... the only problem might be that all the "other" settings to x that you may have done in the meantime will be lost as well... that is if you did anything else...

To be on the safeside, backup your current xorg.conf and than replace it with your previous backup.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby manishk on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:18 am

I think disabling the screensaver worked...atleast it hasn't crashed since yesterday [;)]...and hopefully it doesn't, in the future.

I'll try and replace my xorg.conf today. Lets see.

-Stallman
manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby NiksaVel on Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:04 am

post the current xorg.conf here... maybe there's some obvious problem...

also you might try restoring the original xorg.conf and than installing the ati driver with envy (unless that's what you did originally)...
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby manishk on Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:03 pm

Its not the problem with fglrx...I reinstalled Mint and I still have the problem.

Its hang-ing everytime now...I just cant run a complete session. And its nothing to do with amarok or the screensaver, coz it hung even while nothing was running!!

Could this be something with the hardware??

-Stallman
manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby NiksaVel on Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:40 pm

well... of course there's always that possibility... it could of course be a gazillion things...

first eliminate faulty memory by running memtest... I think you can start it from grub...

after that check for overheating..... both CPU and GPU

It could also be inadequate or faulty PSU...

or any number of other things... but thouse above are most likely to be the problem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby manishk on Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:03 am

Thanks a lot NiksaVel for your help...I dont know what the exact problem was but now its all up and working fine. I just completely deleted the ext3 partition and formatted it as FAT32 from Windows and then reinstalled Mint.

Well I know its strange but it worked :wink:

-Stallman
manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:10 pm

You should not use FAT32. It has no "logging" and in case of a crash you may get into trouble that ext3 had solved for you, being a journalled file system. I think I've seen some complaints about fglrx and screensavers, but a search for it reveals nothing (?)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby manishk on Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:01 pm

Ok my mistake :oops: ...I actually meant that I formatted it as FAT32 from Windows and then again re-formatted it as ext3 thru GPartEd to install Mint.

-Stallman
manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby frank392 on Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:44 am

Hi manishk,
2 questions:
How do you connect to the internet?, Brand of the adapter?
Are you using an Nvidia graphic card?
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Curly on Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:34 am

frank392 wrote:Hi manishk,
2 questions:
How do you connect to the internet?, Brand of the adapter?
Are you using an Nvidia graphic card?

Hey, I've got the same prob. Just've installed Mint yesterday. Keeps hunging up, sometimes even at the login screen. I suspect the fault graphics support. Using old NVidia card (GF MX-440). Was out of time to check xorg.conf, should do it today. Any ideas? Thanx in forward.
Curly
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:45 am

Welcome to Mint Curly
It may very well be the driver for your GF MX-440, from what I see when I do a search it looks a bit troublesome.
You may have to install a legacy driver, I think it can be done through manual install in envy, but try a normal install first. If you cant get into gnome just boot into recovery mode and then type envy

Ps My keyboard settings are wrong at the moment, some minor typing errors there....
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby NiksaVel on Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:32 am

I had to install a legacy driver from the http://www.nvidia.com, nothing else would work at all...

and even after that it wouldn't do GLX, so I reinstalled over it with envy and THAN it worked 100%.... I am talking about GeForce2 MX440
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Curly on Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:26 am

2 Husse, NiksaVel - Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Argh.... I'm a complete linux newbie and a bit confused actually. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to install drivers from either nvidia or with envy tool I need internet connection. But I actually can't have it cos I'm using VPN and unable to set it up properly w/o GUI (pptpconfig) :(( doh... and what about offline download? can I get drivers from other PC connected to Internet and then just copy them to mine and install?

See, the funny thing is that I've choosen Mint over Ubuntu just cos it has all codecs audio & video and i don't have to look for them with Internet :lol:
Curly
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NiksaVel on Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:56 pm

you can download the latest drivers from http://www.nvidia.com and than apply them offline...

you can also run envy in gui... at least the latest version that I have... (maybe it's only in the romeo repos, not sure)... in any case it works in gui for me, if it doesn't for you, add the romeo repos (look at the wiki on howto), update envy, disable romeo repos

8)
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:11 pm

Curly, you can use envy in GUI as NiksaVel states. Just type "sudo envy -g" in a terminal and the -g does the trick. You have to reboot once as you have to restart X properly
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Curly on Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:43 am

Actually, I was looking for the solution _without_ gui (it freezes, the only thing that works is a recovery boot) and internet connection (don't have one right now). Anyway, at least I've figured out the cos of a problem lately. Strange thing, tweaking xorg.conf to "vesa" driver solves nothing. System still freezes at the login splash screen. But what does the trick is adding "xforcevesa" to boot options in grab and what's even more odd is that performance of X under vesa isn't that bad actually :). I really am not sure why it works but it seems like a temporary solution. That will do for now.

Thank you for your support ppl.
Curly
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:00 am

Curly, now that you've got the gui running you can use envy and your internet connection to get the right driver.
If it fails you know how to get back into the gui :)
What motherboard and graphics card do you have?
There may (must?) be an issue with your hardware.
And vesa is at best "not terrible" :)
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other topics