How to remove items from the menu? [solved]

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mozzribo

How to remove items from the menu? [solved]

Post by mozzribo »

Hell.o :)

By using the 'New Item' method in he Menu Editor, it added some strange items that are not shown in the editor for removal. How could I remove them manually (or otherwise)? Searched the web, but couldn't find an answer, and I'm still a n00b.

I'll attach a pic to show how a particular item shows (only) in the menu.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to remove items from the menu?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, mozzribo.

I tried to create a menu launcher which had in its display name the filename extension .desktop, like the item "True Simple.desktop" which we see in your screenshot.
The only way of achieving this was by putting exactly this string "True Simple.desktop" (without the double quotes) in the parameter "Name=" inside a newly created .desktop file.

The menu launchers, text files having filenames with the extension .desktop, can be found in two folders:
+ /usr/share/applications ........ systemwide menu launchers
+ ~/.local/share/applications ... your personal menu launchers

Therefore you should be able to locate the menu launcher in question by running theses commandlines in a terminal window:

Code: Select all

find /usr/share/applications -name \*.desktop -exec grep -l "True Simple.desktop" {} \;
find ~/.local/share/applications -name \*.desktop -exec grep -l "True Simple.desktop" {} \;
I expect that you will be displayed 1 single fully qualified .desktop filename. You could inspect the content of the file and either correct it or remove the file.

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
mozzribo

Re: How to remove items from the menu?

Post by mozzribo »

Thank You for Your kind answer. :)

This helped (Your information is very detailed and can be utilized in a wider area of usage); and also I got used to the Menu Editor, it is a bit glitchy, but can be tamed with careful use.

Enjoy! :)

Return to “Other topics”