Why does Firefox automatically launch on boot up??

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oxf

Why does Firefox automatically launch on boot up??

Post by oxf »

Well the title say it all. I know I've done something silly probably but i cant see what. I've checked I've shut down FF proerly but it still launches by itself every time I turn the PC on. How do I turn this off. HELP please!

Thanks
Kate
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Why does Firefox automatically launch on boot up??

Post by daveinuk »

All I can think of to check off-hand is that you've not added it to your startup applications? Menu>startup applications?

You need to provide some more info here, searching your terms comes up with similar threads for KDE, XFCE etc, might help if you post your mint version and desktop type.
oxf

Post by oxf »

Sorry, yes I should have.
I'm using Mint 14. Xfce, 32 bit.

The thing is this never happened until a few days ago so it has to be something silly I've done!

Kate
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

In addition to the System Settings > Startup Programs, you could possibly have the Firefox launcher in /home/yourusername/.config/autostart

Also, xfce has the ability to save and restore previous sessions, as discussed on this page.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=162173

That page suggests:
xfwm4 --replace
and
Delete all the stored sessions in the 'Session and Startup' window. For some reason the session function misbehaves every now and then.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

When you click the shut down icon in the application menu, you get a window with buttons for "Log Out", "Restart", "Shut Down" etc. There should be a check box in the lower left that says "Save session for future logins". If, some time in the past, you had Firefox open when you shut down the system, and that box was checked, then every time you restart the system, it will start Firefox. To clear that, shut down all running programs, then restart the computer with the "Save session for future logins" option checked. It should restart with nothing running. Then, the next time you shut down, make sure to uncheck the box.

Return to “Other topics”