Low disk space warning [SOLVED]

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Low disk space warning [SOLVED]

Post by russellz »

Hi

I had a warning pop up to say that I had zero bytes free on my root partition. I have removed a couple of programs to get things working again but I'm seeing some strange reports.

My installation uses a 9.3 GB partition for root with a separate 93 GB partition for /home.

Both "df" at the command line and GParted report that I have 8.9 GB used out of 9.3 in the root partition but "Disk Usage Analyser" reports that I am only using 5 GB in the root partition. I guess that means that something that isn't a file is taking up space.

I have tried running Bleachbit but only recovered a very small amount of space. "sudo badblocks -sv /dev/sda" finds no errors. Other than reformatting the partition and doing a new install does anyone have any ideas what to try next?

Russell.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Desktop: ASUS Prime B760-plus D4 motherboard, AMD Radeon RX6500XT, Intel 12th gen i7 12 core 3500MHz, 8GB ram, 500GB Samsung SSD, Mint Cinnamon 21.1
gumnut

Re: Low disk space warning

Post by gumnut »

Hi i have had the same problem and had to reinstall LMDE. UP8 48gb on boot drive of a 500gb hd.
I had 4 work spaces open and when I went to close them after I got the low/no disk space warning I found that they would not close and after trying several times the computer locked up and had to restart
Very frustrating, its not the first time this has happened but previously it was on UP6.
any suggestions
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

gumnut
Your question is about LMDE
Please post it in the LMDE section instead of here
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=189
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

O.K. found it :D

I ran sudo du -hsx * | sort -rh | head -10 on the root directory and it showed 4.2 GB in /var. I worked down through the directories and found a 3.8 GB file in /var/spool/cups, deleted that and everything came back to normal including Dropbox which had stopped working as well. CUPS must have thrown a wobbly.

I don't know why Disk Usage Analyser failed to spot that.

Russell.
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Desktop: ASUS Prime B760-plus D4 motherboard, AMD Radeon RX6500XT, Intel 12th gen i7 12 core 3500MHz, 8GB ram, 500GB Samsung SSD, Mint Cinnamon 21.1

Return to “Other topics”