Text Selection

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AE2100A
Level 2
Level 2

Text Selection

Post by AE2100A »

I am using Linux Mint 16 with Cinammon

I have been experiencing horrible performance on mouse control since I started using Linux Mint. Here are some of the symptoms: 1) Rarely can text be selected properly. It is like the left mouse button, though being held down, has a timeout in mint of like .5 seconds 2) Often, a single click is read as a double click and thing open unitentionally.

I have attempted to change the settings on mouse control, but so far nothing helps. Based on the defaults that are loaded with Linux Mint, things are not right. Never had this type of problem while using windows os with the same mouse.

Anyone else experincing this issue?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Text Selection

Post by austin.texas »

Have you tried a different mouse.
I had similar problems with a mouse that was worn out.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
derd

Post by derd »

I can confirm that I, too, have problems with my mouse on Linux Mint - be it unintentional double-clicks where there was only a single-click or difficulties in properly selecting text.

It happens frequently (though not permanently during all sessions) that I have to try many times to highlight a word or a paragraph with my mouse because selection is lost "on the way", i.e. before I reach the end of the word/paragraph with the mouse. This problem was already present in Mint 16.

I tried this here https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... xt-problem but ended in compiling errors.

In any case a hardware failure seems very unlikely, since my mouse does just fine in Windows.

Someone around with an idea?
alainb1

Post by alainb1 »

Erratic mouse behavior making me reconsider Linux. Unpredictable and unstable. I've tinkered with mouse settings, rebooting, making sure everything is up to date, Googled for solutions - this is a recurring though not that common problem for Linux users.

CPU~Dual core AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 (-MCP-) clocked at 800.000 Mhz Kernel~3.13.0-27-generic x86_64 Up~10:55 Mem~1967.4/3701.7MB HDD~1000.2GB(0.9% used) Procs~185 Client~Shell inxi~1.8.4

I'm newish to Linux, definetly green but I'm open to suggestions
AE2100A
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AE2100A »

Hey austin.texas, you were right, it was just the mouse. Seemed like I had performed the proper diagnostics prior to posting, but sure enough, after your response, I decided to look at it again. No problems since I changed out the mouse. SOLVED.
AE2100A
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Text Selection <SOLVED>

Post by AE2100A »

<SOLVED>

Return to “Other topics”