Keyboard Layout - Regional Settings - South Africa ( ZA )

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jotrago

Keyboard Layout - Regional Settings - South Africa ( ZA )

Post by jotrago »

Mint 16 Petra 64 bit - new install on a South African Dell Vostro 3500 (US Keyboard)

I recently bumped into an issue which came down to the keyboard layout.
https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/remm ... d6#preview
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=165706

The fix was to change my Keyboard Layout from "English (South Africa)" to "English (US)"

It looks like this problem might be peculiar to South Africans and the Regional Settings where we tend to use a "English (South Africa)" Language, which usually defaults to a US Keyboard Layout, but I see that in Mint the default Keyboard Layout shows "English (South Africa)"

Here is my original /etc/default/keyboard
XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="za"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS=""
I suspect that ZA for a keyboard layout is invalid. As far as I know, there is no such thing as a ZA (South African) keyboard. PCs shipped in South Africa use the US keyboard.
Could this be an issue with the default Localisation settings in Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Keyboard Layout - Regional Settings - South Africa ( ZA

Post by Pierre »

ZA is tied in with South African,

however the keyboard should be set to english US
the locale to South Africa
& the language to english South African.

at the time that the Mint install is done.
- those can be changed later, after the install is completed, however.
from within Control Center.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
jotrago

Post by jotrago »

Hi Pierre,

That is what I did when I installed Mint.
However as I mentioned, when choosing English South Africa as my Locale / Language I assumed it would default the Keyboard layout to English US (Which is the case for Winodws, and Ubuntu) and therefore did not check further.
However it seems that Mint sets the Keyboard Layout to English South Africa by default when the English South Africa Locale is selected.
jaxxm

Post by jaxxm »

The only way I could get Remmina to work was to install the US keyboard as the default and then use the ZA keyboard when I need it. This is a workaround but it seems the only way to get it to work.

Return to “Other topics”