Kernel upgrade with Cinnamon

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antsunrise

Kernel upgrade with Cinnamon

Post by antsunrise »

But has anyone successfully got kernel 13.4 working on cinnamon?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Kernel upgrade with Cinnamon

Post by xenopeek »

You mentioned in your cross-post that 3.14 worked fine with Xfce, but not with Cinnamon. I'm on 3.14.1 and Cinnamon works fine with it (hint: I'm using Intel graphics chip). Your problem, as always, is your graphics card driver. Xfce doesn't use your graphics card, Cinnamon does. Hence Cinnamon requires a functioning driver. You probably have some Nvidia or AMD card, and the binary drivers for that always lag behind with the kernel versions. Xfce works fine without as it does all graphics operations on your CPU anyway, but Cinnamon actually uses your graphics card for graphics operations. That doesn't work if the driver is broken because you have upgraded your kernel to unsupported level. Downgrade.
antsunrise

Re: Kernel upgrade with Cinnamon

Post by antsunrise »

xenopeek wrote:You mentioned in your cross-post that 3.14 worked fine with Xfce, but not with Cinnamon. I'm on 3.14.1 and Cinnamon works fine with it (hint: I'm using Intel graphics chip). Your problem, as always, is your graphics card driver. Xfce doesn't use your graphics card, Cinnamon does. Hence Cinnamon requires a functioning driver. You probably have some Nvidia or AMD card, and the binary drivers for that always lag behind with the kernel versions. Xfce works fine without as it does all graphics operations on your CPU anyway, but Cinnamon actually uses your graphics card for graphics operations. That doesn't work if the driver is broken because you have upgraded your kernel to unsupported level. Downgrade.
alright thanks. Just using an onboard graphics ati. 3.13 worked fine at least. went back to mint xfce though. thanks for info

Return to “Other topics”