Mint 17 RC Hibernate (HP 250 G2) [solved]

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jedi98

Mint 17 RC Hibernate (HP 250 G2) [solved]

Post by jedi98 »

I'm having a problem with hibernate on Mint 17 RC, Mate, 64bit (if this should be posted elsewhere, apologies in advance)

The actual suspend/resume works fine apart from it does not power off after suspend. The fans/cpu/disk(?)/leds stay powered on. If I hold down the power button after the image saves to power off, then power on again it resumes perfectly.

HW is HP 250 G2 laptop, core i3, 4GB. There is 4GB swap.

Anyone seen the same or have any ideas?

Added Info: The result is basically the same whether the hibernate is triggered from GUI, pm-hibernate or s2disk directly. Suspend to ram, shutdown and restart all work correctly.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jedi98

Re: Mint 17 RC Hibernate (HP 250 G2) [solved]

Post by jedi98 »

Ah-ha! Eureka (as they used to say in Greece)!

I've got it to work but I'd swear I already did this yesterday and it didn't work, well it does now.

Some experiments with the lower level mechanism of the suspend-to-disk (useful ref here https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentatio ... ugging.txt) showed that the platform disk (default on this PC) is not working right: -

# sudo echo -n platform > /sys/power/disk
# sudo echo -n "disk" > /sys/power/state

demonstrates the problem, however, the shutdown method works fine: -

# sudo echo -n shutdown > /sys/power/disk
# sudo echo -n "disk" > /sys/power/state

Default method can be shown by: -

# cat /sys/power/disk
[platform] shutdown reboot suspend

So I forced the method by creating a file /etc/pm/config.d/hibernate-shutdown and putting in it the line: -

HIBERNATE_MODE="shutdown"

Job done!
cdunne

Re: Mint 17 RC Hibernate (HP 250 G2) [solved]

Post by cdunne »

I'm running linux mint 16, have a HP Pavilion g6 laptop but when I found this post thought it might sort the issues I've been having (see http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=160382) I followed your solution and it looked promising but it crashed on the screen when it's reloading, but it does respond to ctrl alt delete as reset then which it didn't be default. I doubt I'll ever sort this at this rate. :(

Return to “Other topics”