Changed all var Directory Permissions to My User with chown

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
musdawdaf

Changed all var Directory Permissions to My User with chown

Post by musdawdaf »

Hey All,
I was trying give permission to my user to access /var/www folder since I didn't want it to ask me for root when I change anything. So called

Code: Select all

sudo chown my_username -R . 
on /var/www
However I noticed I was on /var folder not /var/www and ended up destroying many ownership. It gives errors like

Error: "/tmp/kde-mstf" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
for some things.Tried a few things but many things not working properly.
Is there a way to fix this problem?
Does it help if I get the default values for ownership from freshly installed Linux Mint 16 KDE?
My Version:Linux Mint 16 KDE 64 bit
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Changed all var Directory Permissions to My User with ch

Post by DrHu »

Yes, but you will (unless you had a backup or saved setup) have to do some or much editing
http://www.faultserver.com/q/answers-me ... 70796.html

And to check quickly you may want to make a small partition 10GB or so and install the same Linux OS version into that partition and compare the permissions used for the user and system directories to the settings you have created, as well as remembering to install the web server your are running (I assume that is why the www root permission change was considered..)
--or you can guess a little by looking at the standard permissions for a Ubuntu or Debian Linux OS

Permissions..
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-man ... s-2.3.html
https://wiki.debian.org/Permissions
--don't worry about acl, most users don't use that function..

http://debian-handbook.info/browse/stab ... archy.html
--you might not need this, if you try the install your Linux to a partition method, but it is worth a look-see just to be clear
  • I expect Ubuntu or Mint may have some similar information available
    --although Debian settings for files & directories(folders) will likely apply in any case: Ubuntu and Mint derive from a Debian base..
musdawdaf

Re: Changed all var Directory Permissions to My User with ch

Post by musdawdaf »

I used one of my backups but it became worse so I made a clean install.
Here the owners of var directory of a freshly installed Linux mint 16 kde

/var/backups/gshadow.bak                                                      root:shadow
/var/backups/shadow.bak                                                       root:shadow
/var/lib/avahi-autoipd                                                        avahi-autoipd:avahi-autoipd
/var/lib/colord                                                               colord:colord
/var/lib/colord/icc                                                           colord:colord
/var/lib/colord/mapping.db                                                    colord:colord
/var/lib/colord/storage.db                                                    colord:colord
/var/lib/dpkg/info/apturl-common.conffiles                                    mstf:mstf
/var/lib/dpkg/info/apturl-common.postinst                                     mstf:mstf
/var/lib/dpkg/info/apturl-common.preinst                                      mstf:mstf
/var/lib/dpkg/info/apturl-common.prerm                                        mstf:mstf
/var/lib/dpkg/info/apturl-kde.md5sums                                         500:users
/var/lib/dpkg/info/apturl-kde.postinst                                        500:users
/var/lib/dpkg/info/apturl-kde.preinst                                         500:users
/var/lib/dpkg/info/apturl-kde.prerm                                           500:users
/var/lib/libuuid                                                              libuuid:libuuid
/var/lib/mdm/.cache/dconf                                                     mdm:mdm
/var/lib/mdm/.cache/dconf/user                                                mdm:mdm
/var/lib/mdm/.cache/fontconfig/cabbd14511b9e8a55e92af97fb3a0461-le64.cache-4  mdm:mdm
/var/lib/mdm/.cache/fontconfig/CACHEDIR.TAG                                   mdm:mdm
/var/lib/mdm/.cache/fontconfig/e13b20fdb08344e0e664864cc2ede53d-le64.cache-4  mdm:mdm
/var/lib/mdm/.cache/fontconfig                                                mdm:mdm
/var/lib/mdm/.cache/gstreamer-1.0                                             mdm:mdm
/var/lib/mdm/.cache/gstreamer-1.0/registry.x86_64.bin                         mdm:mdm
/var/lib/mdm/.cache                                                           mdm:mdm
/var/lib/mdm/.dbus                                                            mdm:mdm
/var/lib/mdm/.dbus/session-bus/2f866622d37da0862743230c537f82c8-0             mdm:mdm
/var/lib/mdm/.dbus/session-bus                                                mdm:mdm
/var/lib/mdm/.local                                                           mdm:mdm
/var/lib/mdm/.local/share                                                     mdm:mdm
/var/lib/mdm/.local/share/webkit/icondatabase                                 mdm:mdm
/var/lib/mdm/.local/share/webkit/icondatabase/WebpageIcons.db                 mdm:mdm
/var/lib/mdm/.local/share/webkit                                              mdm:mdm
/var/lib/mdm                                                                  root:mdm
/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db                                                   root:mlocate
/var/lib/ntp                                                                  ntp:ntp
/var/lib/samba/usershares                                                     root:sambashare
/var/lib/sudo/mstf/1                                                          root:mstf
/var/lib/sudo/mstf/3                                                          root:mstf
/var/lib/sudo/mstf                                                            root:mstf
/var/local                                                                    root:staff
/var/log/apt/term.log                                                         root:adm
/var/log/auth.log                                                             syslog:adm
/var/log/btmp                                                                 root:utmp
/var/log/cups/access_log                                                      root:adm
/var/log/cups/error_log                                                       root:adm
/var/log/cups/page_log                                                        root:adm
/var/log/dirmngr                                                              dirmngr:dirmngr
/var/log/dirmngr/dirmngr.log                                                  dirmngr:dirmngr
/var/log/dmesg.0                                                              root:adm
/var/log/dmesg                                                                root:adm
/var/log/fsck/checkfs                                                         root:adm
/var/log/fsck/checkroot                                                       root:adm
/var/log/hp/tmp                                                               root:lp
/var/log/installer/syslog                                                     syslog:adm
/var/log/kern.log                                                             syslog:adm
/var/log/lastlog                                                              root:utmp
/var/log/mail.err                                                             syslog:adm
/var/log/mail.log                                                             syslog:adm
/var/log/news/news.crit                                                       syslog:adm
/var/log/news/news.err                                                        syslog:adm
/var/log/news/news.notice                                                     syslog:adm
/var/log/ntpstats                                                             ntp:ntp
/var/log/samba                                                                root:adm
/var/log/speech-dispatcher                                                    speech-dispatcher:root
/var/log/syslog                                                               syslog:adm
/var/log/ufw.log                                                              syslog:adm
/var/log/wtmp                                                                 root:utmp
/var/mail                                                                     root:mail
/var/spool/cron/atjobs                                                        daemon:daemon
/var/spool/cron/atjobs/.SEQ                                                   daemon:daemon
/var/spool/cron/atspool                                                       daemon:daemon
/var/spool/cron/crontabs                                                      root:crontab
/var/spool/cups                                                               root:lp
/var/spool/cups/tmp                                                           root:lp
/var/spool/rsyslog                                                            syslog:adm

Return to “Other topics”