system performance and abnormal scim behavior

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

system performance and abnormal scim behavior

Postby garion on Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:22 am

Hmm... after a few days of using Mint on my laptop (without much addition to what is originally installed from cd), there are two distinct performance problems:

1. for some reasons, the system slows down quite a bit after some normal usage for maybe 30mins or so (just some browsing, mplayer, ssh). an obvious sign is when i select quit in the menu, the screen dims down very slowly like in slow motion stripe by stripe, but it is fine right after rebooting.

2. this is even uglier. i used im-switch to link en_US to scim-pinyin, so scim will launch everytime when I log into gnome. it works flawlessly for a few days, and all of a sudden without me doing any fiddling with scim or any input/language stuff at all, it starts to suck up 900MB of memory immediately whenever I log in, and spins my harddrive madly for minutes and minutes, memory usage still going up literally freezing the machine. After painfully kill the scim-launcher process, I tried to manually start "scim -d", same thing, immediately 900MB or ram gone and hdd spinning... this is really annoying, and I can't think of anything that i could have done wrong to cause this...

Any suggestion? Thanks.
garion
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby timmyflight on Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:01 pm

Just a thought... do you have powernowd installed? if so it MIGHT be part of the problem. You can try uninstalling it, sudo apt-get remove powernowd and see if that makes any difference. If not, and you want it back, it's in synaptic.
btw, powernowd is a feature to help regulate processor usage on laptops and such to save the battery.... if you do choose to remove it you may see shorter battery times between reharges :?
Also, another possibility is beagled may be runnining wild, check this link for more info https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/beagle/+bug/64326

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, and your house
Acts 16:31
timmyflight
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Other topics