Configuration hell!

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Configuration hell!

Postby rozojc on Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:40 am

Hi,

I just downloaded and installed Bianca on my new laptop; it's a Compaq v3000 series. However, I've been completely unable to make the following two things work:

1. Wifi (it's a broadcom)
2. Screen resolution

I tried blacklisting the broadcom module that mint uses (which does not work) and then using the one it uses for windows (Vista, cause there's no driver available for XP) through ndiswrapper, but it doesn't seem to work... And I did it exactly as I've done it before... just ndiswrapper -i whatever.inf, then ndiswrapper m , and finally modprobe ndiswrapper... I get no mistakes at all, no warnings or similar, but if I do an iwconfig, the freaking wlan0 simply does not appear as if it didn't exist!!!! IDEAS please???

2. Screen resolution: My screen should work at 1280 x 800, but Mint recognizes it at 1024 x 768. I manually edited xorg.conf, and (since I was unable to make it work) changed ALL instances of resolutions (yes, ALL of them, including 800x600 , etc) for 1280x800, and still each time I log in it works at 1024x768... How can I override that resolution if its not through xorg.conf???

Any help will really be appreciated!! thanks
rozojc
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:42 am

Can't help you with the wifi - don't know enough about the subject.
xogr.conf is a file that gives you possible settings for your screen resolution.
I believe your laptop has nVidia graphis. I should be possible to get the latest driver thru envy (just log out to a terminal ctl+alt+F1) and type envy - uninstall and install.
When that's done you should have "nVidia x server settings" in "System tools" in the menu and that should offer you the correct settings
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

help with wifi

Postby rozojc on Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:33 pm

Ok, video seems to work, but I do need help with the wifi... I dont know what's wrong... Everything should work, except that after I modprobe ndiswrapper, the device wlan0 is nowhere to be found... basically it's as if the laptop didn't see the wifi card... any help, please???
rozojc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby scorp123 on Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:41 pm

Please give us the output of this command:
Code: Select all
sudo lspci
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby manishk on Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:08 pm

Which Broadcom card do you exactly have??

I have Broadcom 4311 on my HP (Compaq) nx6325...and I had a similar problem that ndiwrapper loads the driver properly but nothing worked. The problem, I later came to know, was with the HP drivers...I used a Dell driver for the same card and it worked!!
"...Many people can only keep on fighting when they expect to win. I'm not like that, I always expect to lose. I fight anyway, and sometimes I win."

-Stallman
manishk
Level 3
Level 3

wifi

Postby rozojc on Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:11 pm

I have that same card, where can I get the Dell drivers? I mean, I can go to dells web page, but which driver should I download?

I even compiled ndiswrapper latest stable from sratch and nothing, it says the card is detected, etc., but doing modprobe ndiswrapper does nothing...
rozojc
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED!!!

Postby rozojc on Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:43 pm

Ok, solved. In case any1 is interested, and for future reference, solution for this laptop Compaq V3217 (but should work on any v3000 series):

The drivers provided with the compaq are not usable, and using the OO bcmwxx stuff does not work with this broadcom chipset in a stable way. What you have to do is download and compile latest ndiswrapper (the one in the repos does not work with this at this moment, I tried), and download a Dell driver for any wifi card based on your same broadcom chipset... that did it for me...
rozojc
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other topics