Remote Viewing Problem.

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

bodker wrote:x over ssh seems the most secure but I havn't been able to find a tutorial that has worked.

ssh -X remoteusername@remotecomputer
:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

bodker wrote:sudo startx
You're not supposed to do that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Again, you login via SSH:
ssh -X remoteuser@remotesystem

Once you're logged into the remote system, you launch your programs:
xclock &
gedit &
konqueror &
opera &

(that "&" on the end makes sure that the program won't block the open terminal shell while it's running ... to see the difference just leave it away if you wish ....)

As for SSH's many many parameters:

Code: Select all

man ssh
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Remote Viewing Problem.

Post by scorp123 »

bodker wrote: vnc4server, TightVNC
Let's pickup that topic too .... VNC is easy. So what's the problem? Can you please go into more details here?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

clivesay wrote:I never did get the server part working so I could connect.
Please be more specific. :wink: What were you trying, or what did you want to achieve?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Delete this file: /home/bodker/.Xauthority ... then try again.

As for VNC ... are you sure you installed the needed packages? Let's test that. Open a terminal ... and then type vnc and hit the TAB key (NOT Enter!) a few times until it shows multiple possible commands, e.g.:

vnc <and then hit the TAB key!>
vnc2swf          vnc_inetd_httpd  vncpasswd.arg    vncviewer
vncconnect       vncpasswd        vncserver
This would show that VNC is there. If that happens to be the case: type vncpasswd ... it will ask you to define a password. Do that please. Then let's start a server:

vncserver :1 -depth 16 -geometry 1280x1024

Don't bother about connecting to this one yet .... I just want VNC to write a few default files. When the terminal's prompt returns kill the server:

vncserver -kill :1

Now let's take a look at the start script it just wrote for us:

gedit .vnc/xstartup

Mine looks like this -- you are free to copy it:

#!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid darkgrey
# xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
# twm &

wmaker &

# xfwm4 &
# hackedbox &
# openbox &
# blackbox &
So my VNC would start WindowMaker for me ... as you can see I have other options in place. Let's suppose I'd want "BlackBox" to run, I'd put a "#" in front of that "wmaker &" command and then remove the "#" in front of the "blackbox &" command. For GNOME I'd add "gnome-session &" ... for KDE I'd add "startkde &".

Once this file looks the way you want you can try again and start the server again ... you could also define a shortcut on your desktop or write a boot script so that this either happens with the click of a mouse or automagically upon system start. I personally prefer to start my VNC servers manually, e.g. I first login via SSH and then launch the server on the remote machine only if I seriously need them; then I logout and connect via VNC if needed (or I build a SSH tunnel ... but that's another topic).

BTW, you can define whatever wacky screen resolution you want for your virtual VNC desktop ... you're not forced to choose "real" resolutions such as "1024x768" or "1280x1024". A command such as:

vncserver :1 -depth 16 -geometry 1100x720

... is perfectly valid. Above command will give me a nice 1100x720 virtual remote desktop which fits nicely on my laptop screen (1280x800). Feel free to experiment.

Return to “Other topics”