Why so many updates each day?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Why so many updates each day?

Postby Indy452 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:32 pm

Its been awhile since I've used Mint but I decided to go with it for awhile and see how I liked the Mate desktop. Only question I have is why do I get so many updates? Seems like every time I wake my computer (several times a day) I see the update manager has more updates....For a LTS relese seems like there are lots of updates....I would expect this with a rolling distro but with LTS I'm taken back. Maybe Mint just has busy updaters....I dunno but I remember in the past only getting updates every so often (once or twice a week) not several times a day...
Indy452
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Why so many updates each day?

Postby austin.texas on Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:11 pm

Makes you grateful that people are working continuously to improve your operating system, doesn't it?
Mint 17 Cinnamon (64 bit), Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996

To help Linux Mint with a donation, please visit http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
austin.texas
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Why so many updates each day?

Postby Nilla Wafer on Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:26 pm

Ubuntu is released "ready or not" by a certain date, and any bugs and issues with it are fixed in updates. They come fast and furiously early in any Ubuntu release.

If you're using the latest version of any Ubuntu-based Linux Mint release, you get those updates along with all the Ubuntu users.

That's one of the reasons I never use a release of Ubuntu or Mint when it's brand new. Too often just one of those many updates, intended to fix something, breaks something else. I stick with the LTS versions and wait a few months at least before upgrading to the next LTS.

There's enough of an overlap to give the newest version time to shake out any major issues before the prior LTS reaches the end of its support life. Take advantage of that overlap!

nilla
Nilla Wafer
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Other topics