[SOLVED] trying to get libimobiledevice working

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
computer noob

[SOLVED] trying to get libimobiledevice working

Post by computer noob »

Hello, I am trying to connect my iPod touch to my computer so I can access my music on my computer. I'm running Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit. I noticed in the Software Manager that some of the libimobile packages available were installed, however, I plugged in my iPod and I could view some of the files, but no music. I tried opening Banshee to access the sync button, but it crashed. Rythmbox was able to sync something, but no music appeared.

I decided to try an install following a tutorial video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-8Jblwb-R0

I downloaded the latest developmental release from their website: http://www.libimobiledevice.org/

I followed the instuctions in the video, however I got an error in the terminal after entering sudo ./configure:

Code: Select all

configure: error: Package requirements (libusbmuxd >= 1.0.9) were not met:

Requested 'libusbmuxd >= 1.0.9' but version of libusbmuxd is 1.0.8

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables libusbmuxd_CFLAGS
and libusbmuxd_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

After following the instructions in the video telling you what to do if you get any errors and then proceeding in the process, I recieved another error:

harrison@harrison-Satellite-L755 ~/Downloads/libimobiledevice-1.1.6 $ sudo make && sudo make install
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
Then I noticed that the website had a link to download libusbmuxd 1.0.9, so I downloaded it and tried running the ./configure, which turned up this error:

Requested 'libplist >= 1.11' but version of libplist is 1.10

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables libplist_CFLAGS
and libplist_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.
I'm not sure how to go about getting the libusbmuxd 1.0.9 installed and able for the libimobiledevice package to use.

I don't know if I screwed up somewhere, if the video is wrong, or if the software is buggy since it is a developmental release, but I am a bit out of my depth. Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Carmageddon
Level 1
Level 1

Re: trying to get libimobiledevice working

Post by Carmageddon »

I am in exactly the same situation, in both my LM17 64bit Cinnamon machine, and my mom's LM16 32bit machine... I don't know how to get her iPhone 5 working in Linux! please help!
computer noob

Re: trying to get libimobiledevice working

Post by computer noob »

Carmageddon wrote:I am in exactly the same situation, in both my LM17 64bit Cinnamon machine, and my mom's LM16 32bit machine... I don't know how to get her iPhone 5 working in Linux! please help!
I actually figured out a way to get my songs connected and onto banshee, although that's the only thing I can do so far. When I plugged my iPod in, instead of trying to sync through banshee, I opened gThumb. It recognized my audio and pictures, and I told it to sync the audio to my music folder. Then I unplugged my iPod and played the music through banshee. However, it wasn't perfect! About 90% of my songs didn't have a name, they were titled an incomprehensible string of numbers. But hey, at least I got the audio files! I hope this helps.

Return to “Other topics”