Programming/Coding/Scripting

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Programming/Coding/Scripting

Postby Remus on Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:58 am

I have been playing around with computers since APC's first issue 30 years ago or so. Back then I used to right simple programs in basic and occasionally hex. Then during my time in the military I did a little bumbling around with an old Unix Morse Code trainer.

Since then I got out of that scene and was quite comfortable with what Windows had to offer.

After discharge from the military I eventually taught myself and then did an A+ cert for my computer business.
Recently after seeing a whole heap of mods written for World of Tanks, experimenting with overclocking, then after Linux solved a major problem for me recoving files from a disc that Windows said was dead, I have been determined to teach myself a few things.

I also use XBMC with my Raspberry Pi

Now after that long winded introduction, down to my questions.

I am currently using the latest version of Mint.

Where can I find or what course is there available to teach me how to program, the basic commands, etc.
There are so many courses out there and so many flavors, so to speak, I have no idea where to start.

What do I want to do.

Who knows, I might become a hacker. :D
Remus
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Programming/Coding/Scripting

Postby xenopeek on Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:35 am

Welcome to Linux Mint :) That's a very broad question, but I'll try and give some relevant answers.

For an introduction to the command line, check this excellent and freely available book: http://en.flossmanuals.net/command-line/. You can read it online, download in various formats, or purchase it printed to support the project financially. Aside from making you more comfortable on the command line and introducing you to scripting, it covers how to further educate yourself by explaining how to access the built in documentation on all commands.

As for programming beyond shell scripting, I'd recommend Python. Many of the applications developed by Linux Mint (the Software Manager, the Update Manager, and so on) are all written in Python. It's one of the most popular programming languages and in my opinion--amongst the other popular programming languages (top right in the linked image)--it is the most readable and easiest to get started with. It really depends on what kind if programming you want to do though; for some tasks other programming languages will be a better fit (like C for system level programming).

There are two Python versions in common use today. Python 2 and Python 3. I'd focus on learning Python 3. Here are some good resources for getting started with it:
Python 2 and 3 are already installed on Linux Mint.

Seeing as you have experience with BASIC, you may alternatively enjoy looking into the Gambas programming language. It's more like Visual Basic then it is to the BASIC of old, so it might not be a good fit for you. But it is a "BASIC-like" language. You can install Gambas through the Software Manager.

Starting to get a little bit dated, but I've written before with ideas for programmers that want to learn and possibly contribute to Linux Mint: viewtopic.php?f=148&t=149856#p784188. That post and later posts might give you some ideas as well.

Enjoy the journey & hack on 8)
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Remus on Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:52 pm

Thank you very, very much.

Since I have tested the waters and am happy with the result I will ask a couple more questions.

Drivers. Is there a need for me to find drivers for all my equipment. My laptop is an ASUS K53SJ and I notice that the mouse skips across the page and and find it hard to get it to sit still sometimes. And my desktop is a custom built, overclocked, i7 3770K with an Nvidia GTX 770 Graphics card.

Well that was one question. I am sure I will have more.

Once again thanks. Now to go research.
Remus
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:17 pm

For the Nvidia graphics card you might want another driver. You can use Driver Manager from your menu for that. For help "why" & "which", as I'm not good with Nvidia, I suggest you post a question on that in our Graphics Card & Monitors forum: viewforum.php?f=59

The laptop should generally also work trouble free, according to this: http://www.linlap.com/asus_k53sj. You may post another topic in the forum I linked you to, asking the same question for the laptop's Nvidia GT 520M graphics card. Though I doubt that would cause problems with a mouse. Some mice (especially Razor and similar gaming mice) have known troubles with Linux as their manufacturers don't support their hardware on Linux. I'd suggest trying with a different brand mouse; do you have the same problems then? How about if you use the touchpad? Or is the jumping around being cause by you accidentally brushing over the touchpad with your other arm? If not of that helps, you might post a topic in the Hardware Support forum: viewforum.php?f=49
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Other topics