Mint 17 Cinnamon random freezes

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eelresuah

Mint 17 Cinnamon random freezes

Post by eelresuah »

Hi! I have a triple-boot system on a Lenovo Ideapad Y480 -- Windows 7, Mint LMDE 201403, and Qiana Cinnamon. I recently had to replace the hard drive on the laptop, so I partitioned for Windows, two 15GB partitions for 2 Linux installs, and the rest for swap and home (yes, both Linux installs share the same /home). Windows is fine, and LMDE, which has been installed for a month or so, works well. I installed Qiana about a week ago, and it randomly locks up, requiring a hard power-off and restart. This never happens with Windows or LMDE -- but I do like Qiana much more than LMDE.

I can't tell that freezes are happening at any particular time. They happen when I'm playing Civilization 5, they happen when browsing in Chrome, when using the file manager. There's no corruption of the display...the mouse and keyboard just stop responding and the fan speeds up. (Civ 5 plays amazing well in Qiana, until it freezes; portions of the display corrupt in LMDE).

This machine has the Optimus switching graphics system, with an Intel 4000 and Nvidia 640M LE. I have the latest proprietary Nvidia driver installed, but the lockups were happening before installing the proprietary driver. I also updated the machine's BIOS, to no avail.

I'm not sure where to start looking for an answer to this. I'm a sophisticated computer user, but I've only been using Linux for a year or so and haven't had to do much troubleshooting before now. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
inate71

Re: Mint 17 Cinnamon random freezes

Post by inate71 »

I've had similar issues. I just installed Linux Mint 17 yesterday, and I get freezes too often. I came from Linux Mint 14, which was fine in this regard. The freezes seem to happen at seemingly random intervals. The only way to unfreeze it is to ctrl+alt+F6 then run

Code: Select all

killall -HUP cinnamon
then press ctrl+alt+F8; Cinnamon says it's in Fallback mode, then I restart cinnamon, and everything runs fine until the next freeze.

I have an HP Spectre 14, with an Intel i5-3317U CPU, 8GB of RAM, and an Intel 3rd Gen Core Processor Graphics (integrated graphics). Cinnamon version 2.2.13, with a 3.13.0-24-generic kernel.
eelresuah

Post by eelresuah »

At least I know I'm not the only one! I'll give the Ctrl-Alt-F6 thing to see if I can even do that. I should probably just go back to booting in LMDE until (if) I get this solved... I can always play Civ V on the Windows side.
inate71 wrote:I've had similar issues. I just installed Linux Mint 17 yesterday, and I get freezes too often. I came from Linux Mint 14, which was fine in this regard. The freezes seem to happen at seemingly random intervals. The only way to unfreeze it is to ctrl+alt+F6 then run

killall -HUP cinnamon
then press ctrl+alt+F8; Cinnamon says it's in Fallback mode, then I restart cinnamon, and everything runs fine until the next freeze.

I have an HP Spectre 14, with an Intel i5-3317U CPU, 8GB of RAM, and an Intel 3rd Gen Core Processor Graphics (integrated graphics). Cinnamon version 2.2.13, with a 3.13.0-24-generic kernel.
inate71

Post by inate71 »

eelresuah wrote:At least I know I'm not the only one! I'll give the Ctrl-Alt-F6 thing to see if I can even do that. I should probably just go back to booting in LMDE until (if) I get this solved... I can always play Civ V on the Windows side.
inate71 wrote:I've had similar issues. I just installed Linux Mint 17 yesterday, and I get freezes too often. I came from Linux Mint 14, which was fine in this regard. The freezes seem to happen at seemingly random intervals. The only way to unfreeze it is to ctrl+alt+F6 then run

killall -HUP cinnamon

A lot of people seem to be affected. I feel like it will get fixed soon. For me, the freezing seems to happen more when I'm changing elements in Cinnamon, i.e. fonts, themes, etc.
Caldor

Post by Caldor »

inate71 wrote:
A lot of people seem to be affected. I feel like it will get fixed soon. For me, the freezing seems to happen more when I'm changing elements in Cinnamon, i.e. fonts, themes, etc.
Same here, too many freezes, especially when configuring Cinnamon. Too unstable. Changing font size alone is a near certain freeze.
SMarais
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SMarais »

What are your graphic cards?

If nvidia what drivers are you using?
I have LM Running on all these computers
inate71

Post by inate71 »

SMarais wrote:What are your graphic cards?

If nvidia what drivers are you using?
I have an Intel HD 3000. Integrated graphics.
spsmyth

Post by spsmyth »

Mine was randomly freezing on waking from Suspend. Sometimes it would load, sometimes not. I did

sudo apt-get upgrade
And have been running for a few hours. I'm going out to run some errands, so I'll put it to bed and when I wake it up, I'll report.

--
Steve

--
UPDATE: It is now almost 11:30 PM my time, and Mint has been awakened with no detrimental effects. Looks like this worked, for now.

--
S.

UPDATE 2: I put the computer to sleep at around 3 AM, and woke it up at about 1:30 PM. Froze. Also, in the command line, it doesn't seem to recognize my password and I can't run any commands. This install is only 2 days old so I could redo it, but I really don't want to. More updates later.

--
S.
kachilda
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kachilda »

OS Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.2 64 Bit Version 2.6.11
Processor Intel 2 core dual CPU @ E8400 3.00ghz x 2
Memory 8 gig reading 7.7 gig
graphics Card Intel GT218 GPU GeForce 210

Now with the preliminarys out of the way on to my problem.
I cannot download or view online themes through system settings - themes.
I get the error message -

An error occurred while trying to access the server. Please try again in a little while.

Details: <urlopen error [Errno 110] Connection timed out>

It seems to time out when refreshing the cache. After refreshing several times I’ve reached 84% where it seems to be stuck. Thanks for the help.

Now it seems to be working as long as I don't ask it to download more then one theme at a time. Not perfect but it's getting me there. I have Centrylink internet service at up to 7 MBS. that might have something to do with it I don't know. Well thanks.

Return to “Other topics”