Migrating Outlook Express to Evolution or Thunderbird

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Migrating Outlook Express to Evolution or Thunderbird

Post by ambertone »

Hi all, I'd like to move all my email folders and messages from my Windows machine to my Mint machine.

I'm happy to use either Thunderbird or Evolution but need to know if either can import the files from my back up.

The folder is "Outlook express" and all files are *.DBX in format.

Cheers

Rod
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

In Thunderbird you have "Tools>import" and that lets you import OE messages. (But you don't have OE mail in a folder named Outlook express, at least not in XP, can't remember W9X)
Do you have two machines or dual boot? If you have dual boot you can navigate to the mail folder of OE and import directly from there. In case of separate machines, not connected in a network, you have (of course) to burn to CD (or some such)
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

Yes I tried that but Thunderbird only wants to import Netscape communicator files, there is no option for OE *.dbx files.

It will do it when installing TB in Windows but on Mint it assumes there is no OE on the OS to import from?

Rod
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry, you are right. Hopefully you can find a solution here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_from_Outlook_Express
converting the dbx files to mbox and importing the mbox files seems to be an option.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

ambertone wrote:It will do it when installing TB in Windows but on Mint it assumes there is no OE on the OS to import from?
Yes. Because it's pointless: There is no "Outlook" or "Outlook Express" for Linux.

I suggest this:

- install ThunderBird in Windows
- make precise notes where exactly ThunderBird puts your settings!! The folder name might be something like C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Applications\Mozilla\ThunderBird\Profiles\default ... => your mileage may vary!

- Tell ThunderBird in Windows to import your Outlook Express stuff
- check again that the folder you found above has now plenty of entries ... that would suggest that you really really found the right folder!

- Quit Windows, boot into Linux
- Under Linux your ThunderBird settings should be in a folder with the name ".thunderbird" or ".mozilla-thunderbird"

And now, mount your Windows drive and copy the files and folders from the Windows location to the right Linux location in ~/.mozilla-thunderbird ... Voila. When you open ThunderBird in Linux it should have all your Outlook Express mails now.

Return to “Other topics”