Laptop not shutting down

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Laptop not shutting down

Postby trsnrtr on Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:04 pm

I don't know if this is a Mint problem, XP problem or a hardware problem. I have a Sony Vaio laptop with a dual boot system of XP and Bianca. Yesterday, I installed some automatic updates and the next time my computer was started, it runs slow, like in very slow. It may be just a coincidence that it started after the updates; I don't know.

After rebooting a few times, now it doesn't want to shut down on it's own whether I'm running Mint or XP. I also tried running off of a live disk and it wouldn't shut down either.

Any ideas on where to start looking would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis
trsnrtr
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Alephcat on Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:51 am

which OS did you install the automatic updates under, and can you remember what they were?
"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due."
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Postby trsnrtr on Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:45 am

Alephcat wrote:which OS did you install the automatic updates under, and can you remember what they were?

I'm sorry, I should have said that they were Mint updates and I didn't pay any attention to what they were.

So far, I've run memory tests and everything is fine. I did that because the machine is running so slowly that I thought it might be some sort of memory problem.

Then, I tried to run the live Bianca Mint CD, but it won't finish loading now.

So, I decided to give up and run my Sony restore disks, hoping that it would put the machine in 'new' factory condition, but it hangs halfway though, also.

The only thing that I can think of now is some sort of hard drive problem like maybe bad areas or some sort of corruption.

Anyway, I've hit a wall and am still looking... Currently, I put it in the corner so it could think about how bad it's been for awhile. :)

Dennis
trsnrtr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:08 am

check dmesg to see if it complains about the hard-drive.. it looks like a hardware problem...

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby trsnrtr on Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:36 pm

clem wrote:check dmesg to see if it complains about the hard-drive.. it looks like a hardware problem...

Clem

It's become so unstable that I can't get it to boot and run. I called Sony and they agreed that it's probably hard drive failure based on the fact that it's built in restore partition won't run either. Luckily, it's still under warranty.

Thanks, for the help. Off it goes to the service center.

Dennis
trsnrtr
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics