NTFS fragmentation?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimwelchok
Level 1
Level 1

NTFS fragmentation?

Post by jimwelchok »

I moved my USB drive from windows to Linux, copy a large number of video files, then moved it back to windows. It was fragmented. There was a pattern to it. It seemed that data was spread out every xx? many blocks and free space in between. Is this due to linux ntfs driver? I have a screen capture of the windows defrag window (mydefrag). Is this a bug? What other info would someone want? I am currently defragging in windows and then will copy a bunch more files from linux to the hard drive. So suggestions before I dump again would be timely. BTW, I been using linux since 1996. Am currently using Mint 17, all upgrades installed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: NTFS fragmentation?

Post by Flemur »

It was fragmented. There was a pattern to it. It seemed that data was spread out every xx? many blocks and free space in between.

I got the same pattern using NTFS w/Win7, displayed with "UltimateDefrag". I think it's a "feature" - not a bug! - of NTFS.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Other topics”