Beryl slow?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Beryl slow?

Postby Medic77 on Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:59 pm

Hi I'm new and I have a problem.

OK heres the problem. I installed Linux mint no problem. I then installed Beryl no problem till recently. It acts very sluggish. Whenever I move the cube around it takes half a second to catch up. also Firefox and other applications act slow to. I know it can't be my computer because Vista Aero runs smoothly on my computer. Here are my system specs:

1.8ghz p4
640mb of ram
ATI 9600 128mb DDR
Medic77
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby metapy on Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:08 pm

Run envy and update your video drivers
metapy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Medic77 on Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:45 am

ok well that was complty the opposite of what I wanted it to do.

I installed Envy no problem and I downloaded the ATI driver. I did the things it recomended me and rebooted. Well when I rebooted I lost beryl even though it was in the system stray. coudln't even right click on my desktop. so i figured uninstall the driver and try again right? WRONG! after rebooting again it says problem with the xserver and now its like all command orented which I know none of.

So I reinstalled Linux Mint because it dosn' take that long and I had no special files.

So what the heck did I do wrong?
Medic77
Level 1
Level 1

Postby metapy on Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:40 am

Beryl has just reached a "stable" status so developers are just now considering to put it into a production class of system install. Now that it has reached a somewhat stable status there will be plenty of distributions that have Beryl running on install, nothing extra to do. I imagine there will be a new version of LinuxMint before summer that will have Beryl. If you want to get the jump on things and install Beryl now I'd recommend you expect a few bumps and quite a bit of learning as you well know if you break your window manager you are "stuck" in a terminal.

Here is an automatic Beryl installer tutorial:
http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Inst ... GL_and_ATI

Here is a large thread on the Ubuntu forums which should directly apply to LinuxMint:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=265678

The first guide will most likely work as it is published by Beryl, but then again, "Notice that this a first beta version of the automatic ATI+XGL+Beryl installation based on the Nvidia script, you SHOULD NOT use it in a stable environment." Which means if it works great, but if not then you are on your own, but you could always reinstall with only half hour lost.

The second is more reading, but you will likely find something that will work for you. Manual solutions are easier as you can always go back one step and see where the problem lies. Sometimes helps to start at the back and work your way forward to see what the most recent successes were, often the later solutions are more elegant as people have refined them over time. You may need to read all 15 pages of the thread and you may have to start at the beginning to understand something, but I find it helps to have a better understanding if I read about the most trouble free installations and then work backwards through the earlier problems in the thread if I get stuck than to try the earliest solution and then find a really easy way half way through the thread.

You can always boot from the CD and troubleshoot from there as well, once you learn how to manually mount a drive you can have firefox along your command line, makes things much easier.
metapy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Medic77 on Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:53 am

Well I'll just wait till the next Linux Mint download comes out whith the easy beryl install.

The How to for linux mint on this forum works. followed evrystep and got it to work no problem. Well the only problem is when I maximize something it slows everything down. I can live with it for now. I did do that performance boost thing in the how to section and thats making it run a tad better but it dosn't solve my maximizing problem. I might try to update my driver using envy again but my only problem is that i don't know what to do when it goes wrong and the x server stops or if i get something really weird. Oh well.

Oh yea I noticed something (odd to me) when isntalling beryl

Code: Select all
* Beryl system compatiblity check                            *

Detected xserver                                : AIGLX

Checking Display :0.0 ...

Checking for XComposite extension               : passed (v0.3)
Checking for XDamage extension                  : passed
Checking for RandR extension                    : passed
Checking for XSync extension                    : passed

Checking Screen 0 ...

libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
Checking for GLX_SGIX_fbconfig                  : passed
Checking for GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap        : passed
Checking for non power of two texture support   : passed
Checking maximum texture size                   : passed (2048x2048)

libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
Reloading options

The terminal just sits there and I end up exiting out of it. I don't know if it helps or not.
Medic77
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tseliot on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:14 am

You can't use AIGLX with the fglrx driver (yet).
tseliot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Medic77 on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:40 am

Ok well I tryed updating my ATI drivers again but this time I checked the unisntall ati drivers then install ati drivers. It seemed to do the trick except beryl isn't working now.

When i type beryl-manager in a terminal this is what i get.
josh@josh-desktop:~$ beryl-manager
josh@josh-desktop:~$ Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
Medic77
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Medic77 on Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:39 pm

OK well I figured out some stuff and I tryed reinstalling the ATI drivers using envy. now I figured out that my problem was that I didn't type the code beryl in a terminal. when I do type beryl in the terminal it says It faild at checking for XComposite extension : faild.

josh@josh-desktop:~$ beryl
* Beryl system compatiblity check                            *

Detected xserver                                : AIGLX

Checking Display :0.0 ...

Checking for XComposite extension               : failed

No composite extension
beryl: No composite extension

EDIT: Any who I have come to the conclusion that Beryl will only work as long as you don't update your ati driver. cheers!
Medic77
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other topics