Mouse prob "Couldn't grab pointer" & Xscreensaver (SOLVED)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
starflower

Mouse prob "Couldn't grab pointer" & Xscreensaver (SOLVED)

Post by starflower »

I just installed Mint 17 Xfce. Everythings fine except sometimes the mouse pointer will freeze. If I try and move it sometimes it drops to a shell and theres an error message there which says "Xscreensaver.....unable to grab pointer"

The other thing that happens which may possibly be related? is imediately after boot up the desktop is displayed for maybe two seconds and the screen goes blank like the screensaver kicks in. I move the mouse/hit any keyand it comes back. i do have a blank screen screensaver selected but thats set at 10 minutes so this shoulden't be happening. Maybe related to above?

Anyone have any ideas how to resolve or track this down?

Thanks
Kate

Edit: It also seems that when the mouse pointer freezes as described above if I then hit Esc it then unfreezes and works again.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
starflower

Re: Mouse problem: "Couldn't grab pointer" & Xscreensaver

Post by starflower »

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Its not a huge issue but it's still there and annoying. what should i try to track this little bug down?

Kate
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it's not just Mint 17 Xfce - the 'couldn't grab the mouse" error has existed for several versions of Mint.
But it doesn't normally drop to a shell.
- it generally occurs when clicking on a menu item within a running software program.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
starflower

Post by starflower »

I never had this problem at all on Mint 16 Xfce. It's only occuring siince I reinstalled Mint 17 Xfce.

However, I'm hopeful that I might have fixed the mouse pointer. I was looking around in Synaptic and notised a problem with the Mint Flash plugin so I removed and then reinstalled it. Since then the pointer issue has not reoccured. It's a bit early to say but fingers crossed.

I do still have a problem with the screensaver kicking in prematurely. I have it set for 10 minutes but occasionally it kicks in at random. so it does seem there is something going on with Xscreensaver..
starflower

Post by starflower »

Going to mark this as solved as the mouse pointer issus seems to have been fixed as described above.
I will repost the Xscreensaver as a seperate post as some other factors

Return to “Other topics”