Bianca 2.2 & Thunderbird are driving me crazy!

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Bianca 2.2 & Thunderbird are driving me crazy!

Postby TheFOG on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:26 pm

I have a PC with the hard disks in removable drawers. One HDD has WinXP Pro on it with Thunderbird installed. There are an enormous amount of files loaded in Thunderbird that I simply cannot throw away. I wish to transfer the TB profile I have in Windows, to the HDD with Mint Bianca 2.2 installed on it, but, for the life of me, I can't figure out where it goes in Bianca. I tried to put it in /etc/Mozilla-Thunderbird, but when I drag it over to drop it, the system tells me I don't have the authority to do it. ... I INSTALLED the damn system! I would like to go 100% Linux, but I MUST have my old profile installed. Can anyone tell me of a simple way to accomplish this? ........... Please?
TheFOG
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby mumbo719 on Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:19 pm

I assume you are using nautilus for the file operation. If that is the case open a terminal and type

Code: Select all
 gksudo nautilus

This will give you super user privileges to drag and drop the files where you want them.
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Bianca 2.2 & Thunderbird are driving me crazy!

Postby scorp123 on Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:22 am

TheFOG wrote:but, for the life of me, I can't figure out where it goes in Bianca.
It belongs into your user's home directory, sub-directory .mozilla-thunderbird ... In UNIX-guru speak this would be ~/.mozilla-thunderbird ... Chances are that it already created a profile there. Just overwrite the stuff there with your previous profile from Windoze.

YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO TOUCH ANYTHING IN /etc UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DO!!
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby scorp123 on Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:23 am

mumbo719 wrote:This will give you super user privileges to drag and drop the files where you want them.
Which would be pretty unfortunate ... running GUI file managers as "root" is a perfect way to hose your system!! Especially if you do stuff you're not supposed to do ...
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Bianca 2.2 & Thunderbird

Postby TheFOG on Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:09 pm

Thank you very much, gentlemen for your input, as i learned a couple of new things from your posts. Scorp123, you were correct about me being in the "right church, but the wrong pew". Instead of "etc", it belonged in the user home directory under the name ".mozilla-thunderbird". The only hitch was the fact that another directory by the same name existed there that was hidden which I didn't expect, but I was given the opportunity of overwriting it. I thought about what you said in your post about overwriting it, so I took a chance, and overwrote it on the blind. I lucked out. I opened Thunderbird, and everything was there right where it was supposed to be!
Thanks again, ......... TheFOG
TheFOG
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics