Error Report CLOSED

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
69Rixter

Error Report CLOSED

Post by 69Rixter »

I hope I'm in the proper forum. This has to do with an error report and how to fix/correct it. If this post should be elsewhere, please advise and I'll move it.

E: Encountered a section with no Package: header (I was trying to use SoundJuicer in "rip" mode)
E: Problem with Mergerlist /ver/lib/apt/lists/archive-removed_ubuntu_trusty-removed_apps_i18n_Translation-en
E: The package list or status file couldn't be parsed or opened

Next, when in 'recovery" mode @ NETWORK Modem Manager [2147]: <warn> Couldn't find support for device at '/sys/devices/pci0000: 00/0000: 00: /c.2/0000: 02: 00.0' not supported by any plug-in

Could someone explain how to correct these errors and even, what in the #@%$ is causing all the problems I'm having with LM17? It has been a constant battle to get this O.S. working properly!!! I've checked and it's not a corrupted D/l of the O.S. Linux/Ubuntu is NOT supposed to be this difficult!!!!!! :x
Thank You:
:twisted: Rick [HP2000-210 notebook LM17.1 cinnamon]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Error Report

Post by karlchen »

Hello, 69Rixter.
E: Encountered a section with no Package: header (I was trying to use SoundJuicer in "rip" mode)
E: Problem with Mergerlist /ver/lib/apt/lists/archive-removed_ubuntu_trusty-removed_apps_i18n_Translation-en
E: The package list or status file couldn't be parsed or opened
I am not quite sure whether I have explained about the "Problem with Mergelist" and the way to solve it half a dozen times or a dozen times during the past few months (actually feels like 3 dozen times or more). So I wonder why no-one ever finds it? Anyway.

"E: Problem with Mergelist": Steps to solution e.g. here

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
69Rixter

Post by 69Rixter »

REPLY TO KARL:

Again, I extend my thanx for your help. This has gotten to be an all too frequent occurrence...that is, my coming here on an almost weekly basis. Ok, I know we've been down this road before(the mergelist error) and wonder why it re-occurs. And, as before, SJ works great for 2-3 rips, then crashes. Which I then uninstall/reinstall and start all over again!! VERY frustrating!! Still have not been able to get webcam operational. And some other 'glitches" have popped up. I'm at a total loss as to the problems of this machine. I feel it has to be something simple/easily correctable, but as to what that is, well,... I think I'm going to destroy the laptop before I find out!!
Stay Sharp, my friend:
:twisted: Rick
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Regarding your problems with SoundJuicer: I have been using Asunder to rip CDs and have had no problems with it. You might give that a try.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
69Rixter

Post by 69Rixter »

REPLY TO jimallyn:

Thank You for your response. Ok, I'll give asunder a try along with cd-paranoia(someone recommended) and see how they act. Up until LM17, I'd used SJ and it had worked flawlessly. So, let's see what happens with different "rippers". BTW, you have any thoughts on why SJ is failing, now, w/LM17?
Good Evening:

ADDENDUM 2/13/2015

I installed Asunder via the terminal and added the FLAC package. When I installed asunder, I saw that the cd-paranoia is part of the Asunder package :oops: OK, so I ripped a CD and, so far, it went flawlessly. It did seem a bit slower than SJ, but I can live with it. I'll do some more ripping and give a further assessment. STILL need to get webcam operational.
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

The latest version of Asunder (version 2.7) is much faster at ripping than older versions, since the developer has now added support for cdparanoia's -Z switch, and made it default.
69Rixter

Post by 69Rixter »

Hey Buzzsaw:

Thanks for the info. Ahmm, I have version 2.2 and cannot seem to find 2.7. I could only find 2.5 from softpedia. How do I find and upgrade to 2.7? Shouldn't there be a way to do so right from LinuxMint?
THANX:
Rick
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

Version 2.7 (or a later version) won't be available for Mint until 2016, when Mint changes to be based on Ubuntu 16.04. You can download the source code from here though, and compile/install it manually. That's what I did. There's a text file in the archive that says how to do this.
69Rixter

Post by 69Rixter »

BUZZSAW:

Thanx for the info. I'll get right on it. Curious, perhaps you could answer this. Any idea(s) to why Soundjuicer would act the way it has? And I'm working on getting the latest Fedora. Hopefully, it will resolve the problems I've had with LM17.
Keep Pushin':
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

I've never used Sound Juicer because I read that it uses LAME through GStreamer, which is not a good idea (see here), and that it has no easy way to change the encoding bitrate (see here).
69Rixter

Post by 69Rixter »

Buzzsaw:

Ahhh....you getting sick of hearing from me yet? Ok. D/l Asunder 2.6, what next? Ahmm...why couldn't I have just 'upgraded" the pkg. with a command? Here's one ...just for sh.. and giggles...why wouldn't/didn't the terminal install grab the latest version and install it? Anyway, you've been a great help and it is appreciated! I have the lshw/dmesg/lspci readouts at linux questions dot org /questions/linux-laptop-and-netbook-25/error-report-4175533835/page2.html (the lspci is on page 1~ post#5). THESE ARE FOR ANYONE WHO MIGHT WISH TO HELP OUT w/THIS LAPTOP'S/O.S's FAILURE TO OPERATE THE INTEGRATED WEBCAM. Buzz, as always, appreciate the help!!!!
69Rixter

Post by 69Rixter »

ATTENTION TO ALL:

I've found the manufacturer of the HP Webcam. It's Chicony and it's driver designation is SP39323 for HP/MSWin. This laptop originally had MSWin 7 on it and I was informed the webcam used "CyberLinkYouCam" software for it's operation, also a MSWin program : ( I'm hoping that this information will provide those with the expertise the info they need to help resolve my laptop's issue. i.e. I need to cross-reference the Chicony webcam driver to the appropriate Linux driver.

69Rixter

Post by 69Rixter »

EVERYONE

OK, here's one for you....last night my laptop "crashed" big time. Don't have a clue as to what caused it. So, loaded up LM17.1 Xfce on pendrive and was running it. Lo and behold....CHEESE worked!!! (tried Ubuntu 14.04.2 and the cam didn't work) YES...I took pics and ran it for sometime and it did'nt crash. WOW...can anyone explain that? I really believe this laptop spends all it's "downtime" thinking of more and more ways to *%#! with me. LOL LOL. OK, I'm all ears...what's the difference that would make my #1 peeve suddenly start working? And don't tell me it was the Hdd nor the amount of RAM. OK....here it is...let me know what you think...LOL LOL LOL
Stay Sharp:

Return to “Other topics”