Changing Start Menu Icons

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
crash123

Changing Start Menu Icons

Post by crash123 »

I've been trying to use the start menu's editor to change the icon for one of my applications, a wine application called Foxit Reader.
menu editor.png
I change it from the default "wine glass" icon for wine applications to a foxit reader icon I found online (I've tried both .png and .svg versions with the same result). I go to the menu item's properties and switch it there, as you can see below:
menu editor_foxit reader.png

But even though it shows the new icon in the properties menu, the wine glass icon is still what shows up in the menu editor and, most importantly, in my actual start menu. Is there something else that needs to be done to fix this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Changing Start Menu Icons

Post by kyphi »

Why run FoxitReader in Wine?
It is available for Linux from the Foxit web site.

Changing an icon: Right click on Menu, select "Configure". Left click on "Open the menu editor. Locate the "Foxit PDF Reader" entry (I have mine under "Office"). Right click the entry and select "Properties". Left click on the icon which will open and highlight the current icon. Locate the new icon and click on it. Done.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
crash123

Post by crash123 »

kyphi wrote:Why run FoxitReader in Wine?
It is available for Linux from the Foxit web site.
Last time I tried the Linux version, it had very limited functionality and it didn't look like they were updating it. The windows version was far superior and continues to run perfectly with Wine. Maybe the Linux version is as good as the Windows version now, but if not, I'll stick with the Windows one.

kyphi wrote:Changing an icon: Right click on Menu, select "Configure". Left click on "Open the menu editor. Locate the "Foxit PDF Reader" entry (I have mine under "Office"). Right click the entry and select "Properties". Left click on the icon which will open and highlight the current icon. Locate the new icon and click on it. Done.
That's what I did. What I'm saying is that the normal method isn't working for some reason. I'm trying to find out why and/or find a good solution.

Thanks anyway.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

I don't understand why the procedure for changing the icon does not work for you. Perhaps you need to change the icon and the path statement from within Wine.

The Linux version lets me change the icon at will.

A much better PDF reader is "Master PDF Editor" from:

http://code-industry.net/get.pdfeditor.php

... and it is available for Linux without compromise.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Ginsu543

Post by Ginsu543 »

You may have to change the icon of the actual program. Mint stores icons in various places in the directory structure, so you'll have to go look for the right icon file. Some places you might want to look are:

/home/<your_user_name>/.icons/<name_of_your_icon_set>/scalable/apps
/usr/share/pixmaps
/usr/share/icons/<name_of_your_icon_set>/apps/scalable

Return to “Other topics”