Noticable lag on laptop for a short time after boot

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
acejavelin
Level 2
Level 2

Noticable lag on laptop for a short time after boot

Post by acejavelin »

I have been running Mint for several months on my desktop as a primary OS, and have used Linux off and on since early Slackware days on a i386, so I am fairly familiar with day to day operations and figuring out most stuff for myself. My laptop was ancient to the point I didn't like to use it anymore, so I picked up an HP Probook 6550b for next to nothing and popped in an SSD drive and installed Mint Cinnamon. Initial couple of boots were extremely fast, the password prompt would come up in about 10 seconds, and after typing the password I would be at the desktop in about another 5 seconds. After going through a few guides to optimize my installation from the Easy Linux Tips project (https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... amon-first and https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd) I have noticed a noticeable delay on booting up, taking 45 sec to get the password prompt, then lag well typing in the characters, and then a 45-60 second delay of black screen with only a mouse cursor before the desktop is presented to me, at this point for another 30-60 seconds the system is very laggy and slow then everything runs along very quick and smoothly. During the lag time on the password screen and into the login portion bringing me to the desktop, the HD activity light is lit solid, as soon as it goes out the lag and delays are gone.

Not sure what I did or installed that could have caused it, other than the default Cinnamon 17.1 64-bit stuff, I removed LibraOffice and installed OpenOffice, Chrome, and Leafpad, and that's about it for changes (I did install fprint and remove it after I discovered the TPM module isn't supported on this laptop), other than the two guides I mentioned above.

I have looked though dmesg and syslog and found nothing that jumps out at me as a problem or issue and I am not sure where to look, or if I should... Is this normal? My desktop is fairly fast but the no where near as quick as this laptop with ssd drive to boot and get to the desktop, could it just be normal startup stuff going on in the background, or where can I look to see if something is stuck or what process is running at this time?

Don't get me wrong, the system is still no slouch... I am not unhappy with it at all, it just seemed to change suddenly well setting it up and I am not aware of why.

Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 64-bit
HP Probook 6550b notebook
Intel Core i5 2.5Ghz
8GB RAM
240GB OCZ Arc 100 SSD Drive
Intel 3000 Video
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WIFI - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 750w PS
Nvidia GTX 980ti - 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz RAM
Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe (Linux) - Sandisk X400 256GB M.2 SSD (Windows 10)
Seagate 3TB HDD - LG 16x Blu-Ray RW
acejavelin
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Noticable lag on laptop for a short time after boot

Post by acejavelin »

Never did find the cause, but a fresh install and going through exactly the same procedures as before seem to fix the issue... Everything is back up and working as before and no lag.
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WIFI - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 750w PS
Nvidia GTX 980ti - 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz RAM
Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe (Linux) - Sandisk X400 256GB M.2 SSD (Windows 10)
Seagate 3TB HDD - LG 16x Blu-Ray RW
Voltron
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Noticable lag on laptop for a short time after boot

Post by Voltron »

Hi, acejavelin:

It sounds like you got things fixed--great! Thanks for posting back to your own, original post, so that, others may benefit from your fix.

Return to “Other topics”