Newbie Trials and Tribulations

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Postby Fergus on Wed May 09, 2007 1:41 pm

ok... some more developments!

The way i install kiba-dock was baaad, why? Well i have since visited the website since there were i few things with kiba i didn't know how to do.
So i thought i would update to the svn or at least the most stable.
There is a user on the forum that provides thislittle script! Now i cannot uninstall my original installation! Telic since you copied me foolishly, have you any thoughts?

Next is the 3G card i have install on my D620, a good install for both windows (to use other sim cards) and linux is here but i am having problems with the instructions. I'll elaborate later once i have had a play.

thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------
On going issues:

uninstall kiba-dock
lost menu icons in crossover office
Update bianca with patches but not 7.04?
----------------------------------------------------------------
Fergus
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Fergus on Wed May 09, 2007 4:01 pm

Just an update, i am getting there with the Kiba-dock. Found some install library issues to solve. There are issues with gaim and their plugins.

With crossover office i have confirmed with lars that the issue with mintmenu and the application icons will be fixed in mintmenu 2.1 which should be in the romeo repositories soon!

My big problem now is that i cannot start bianca with the latest kernel update, Xserver does not start. I need to use the older kernel.
Fergus
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Fergus on Sat May 12, 2007 1:55 pm

I've managed to fix all problems with updates to the kernel and Xserver with reinstalling nvidia drivers with the help of envy, I decide to keep away from the latest update of envy as this one works.

The more and more i read about cassandra the more i'm leaving bianca behind. I have really enjoyed the learning experience but i can defintely see a reformat to Cassandra when its released.

For the moment, i'll struggle on with bianca:

I'm still trying to figure out kiba dock settings - there is something funny with the script from the website, and i ended up editing the script to remove the gaim pluggins. I also ended up linking libraries to get it to work- pm me if anyone needs help. I still cannot add launchers.... i'm thinking of removing this version and installing the old way again, The only reason i updated was so that i could keep the dock behind the windows.

In the mean time i got the networking side sorted out with windows. I have the odd firewall glitch in the windows side, and i don't know the log in from the the windows side to the mint side, but! I can access the windows shares from mint which is just grand. I love it when clem has taken care of these simple things.
Fergus
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Fergus on Sun May 13, 2007 4:44 am

I think i mention a few posts back at my intension to get my 3G wireless card running in mint.... here is how!

These instructions are for a Dell latitude D620 using 3G radio, and the Novatel Wireless EU740 internal card - this is a mini-PCI express card that has a USB interface available. I am using the card with 02, a uk cellular operator, but you can find more operator settings here

Firstly you need install kppp from synaptic, and another little useful app called comgt. Download comgt to your \home folder then navigate into it then make and then make install.

Next you need to follow the instructions here, but avoiding any network specific settings and substituting for your own. There are loads of vodafone tutorials about but none for the smaller networks.

Kppp o2 settings:

login ID: mobileweb
password: password

make sure you select the correct modem device, e.g. /dev/ttyUSB0 and not /dev/tty0 - you will be sitting for hours trying to think why it is not working!

the Init String 2 in the modem commands box : AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","mobile.o2.co.uk"

authentication: PAP

These are all the settings a changed, so if you are wanting to adapt this to another network then this should be the basic set.

This method can be applied to other laptops with a built in 3G card, like the precision series, D820, D420, D630, D830 and a few others that will come in the future.

If anyone has found any other methods for achieving the same thing, then please let me know.
Fergus
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Fergus on Sun May 13, 2007 5:47 am

Not finished for today gents! I found another little niggle...

i decided to disable the splash screen just to see what the big delay in the middle of boot was.
I found that the warnings to disable ipv6 came up 4 times, the first two were reasonable quick then there was a big delay, then the other two... and a few seconds after that tty and then the logon screen.

What is causing the delay in my boot? Why do i need to disable ipv6? Is it doing any harm being enabled?

I don't have a big problem with the boot times, its just a long delay always makes you nervous.

Can anyone shed any light or suggestions?
Fergus
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Husse on Sun May 13, 2007 6:58 am

I don't remember exactly what the trouble with enabling IPv6 is, but it can cripple your internet....
And as nobody (?) uses it yet you can safely turn it off. However the appearance twice (not really four times as there are two blocked modules (or something) is a bit odd. Do you see any error between the first and the second set?
And keep it up Fergus - you are really doing great :)
Last edited by Husse on Sun May 13, 2007 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Fergus on Sun May 13, 2007 10:21 am

Thanks Husse, for me its just nice to be contributing, even though the majority of the post is just my rambling nonsense.

As for ipv6, your argument is good enough. If it ain't broken don't fix it!
There are no errors between the first and second statements, is there a boot log that shows all these statements that i can look at? i've had a quick search and found /var/log/ but nothing in there seems about right.
Fergus
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Husse on Sun May 13, 2007 10:41 am

/var/log/boot
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby telic on Mon May 14, 2007 12:06 pm

Telic since you copied me foolishly, have you any thoughts?

No, I didn't copy you, I used the same procedure as in the Ubuntu blog. Kiba dock has worked perfectly for me, easily and every time. I don't know what you've done differently somewhere.

Last night I downloaded Sabayon Linux 3.3 miniEdition for a test drive. It comes loaded with multimedia codecs and plugins, and is the slickest-looking distro I've tried so far. It automatically installs the latest (nVidia) display driver and Beryl 3D, so you don't need to edit the Xorg config file at all. The kiba-dock tarball is easy to download and install, so I did it with the Sabayon live CD, even before loading the distro onto my HD.

Here's a screenshot of the Sabayon live CD running kiba-dock with Firefox, KWrite, and Amarok launch icons (on the righthand edge of the desktop)...

[click image to enlarge]

The kiba installation process on Sabayon is virtually the same as with Mint (Ubuntu), except without the extra step to install the dependencies.

I've abandoned Mint in favour of Ubuntu, BTW. I purchased one-year support subscriptions for my field engineers, and they're satisfied with the service.

------
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fergus on Mon May 14, 2007 2:33 pm

I was looking at Sabayon too.... very intrigued. I think i might try a live cd. Whats that distro based upon?

I fixed the kiba dock - finally got it uninstalled then went with the script from the forum. Yes its a better dock but i'm getting very very high CPU usage when i turn the physics engine on.
Again.... i'll keep pluggin away!

Thanks for the advice!
Fergus
Level 2
Level 2

Postby telic on Mon May 14, 2007 10:34 pm

I was looking at Sabayon too.... very intrigued. I think i might try a live cd. Whats that distro based upon?

Sabayon is based on Gentoo Linux, so there's a mountain of online documentation and community support, plus a well-stocked software repository (see Portage and Kuroo).

It's clear that the Sabayon team has focused on detail, making the installation process highly polished and seamless. It uses a customized Anaconda installer, a la Red Hat, which I think is overall superior to the GParted et al process.

For combined simplicity and glossy appearance, I won't be surprised if Sabayon challenges PCLinuxOS for popularity (though the Sabayon default theme is kind of funky and broody). Have a look-see at the Sabayon 3.3 miniEd live CD. Step-by-step instructions for installing kiba-dock are posted [here], which you can copy and paste line-by-line into Sabayon's liveCD Konsole.

FWIW, my Mint setup used the bash command shell, whereas your Bianca (Edgy) defaults to dash. Dash is POSIX compliant, but some Linux hacks use old bash quirks. This is known to jinx some script-based compiling procedures.

To switch from dash to bash, go Terminal and enter...
Code: Select all
sudo bash
rm /bin/sh
ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh
exit

Whenever you want to return to using dash...
sudo bash
rm /bin/sh
ln -s /bin/dash /bin/sh
exit

Mint 3.0 Cassandra (Feisty) also uses dash.

Good luck with your determined plugging-away. It's a worthwhile learning process.

------
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fergus on Wed May 16, 2007 6:39 pm

Telic could you post a link to the kiba-dock installation instructions?
I'm still not happy with it.

I think i'll leave gentoo till i get my mint experience a little higher!
Next on my agenda is bluetooth, so i can use my headset with skype.
Fergus
Level 2
Level 2

Installation of something different

Postby Fergus on Thu May 17, 2007 7:12 am

Another quickie from me.... i do a lot of work in electronics design and i have been asked to do some research in asynchronous logic and so i need to download the appropriate design tools.

one of which is from here

http://intranet.cs.man.ac.uk/apt/projects/tools/balsa/

Could some one please explain the correct procedure for install this for mint and then in general. The install file is not helpfull to me at just seems to send me down a garden path.
There is no instruction on installing and launching the package from the fresh install.

I'm really struggling without a .deb package. I'm still a noob at heart...
Fergus
Level 2
Level 2

Postby telic on Fri May 18, 2007 8:07 am

Telic could you post a link to the kiba-dock installation instructions?

Same place as before: Install kiba-dock on Edgy Eft

I'm really struggling without a .deb package. I'm still a noob at heart...

I'm a Linux n00b too, having wandered onto the scene in March.

The following procedure got Balsa up and running on my Feisty setup. No guarantee about how it might go with Mint. And whether or not Balsa will actually function as intended is something you'll discover by trying it.

The following steps should install Balsa in your home directory under a subdirectory named etc. You can copy and paste each line of code from here into Terminal. I recommend that you disable Beryl before trying to install Balsa (re-enable Beryl after you've successfully installed Balsa).

1) Use the Synaptic repository manager to find and install the following packages required by Balsa...
libgtk1.2 (Balsa looks for this specific version)
libgmp (get highest version available)
guile-1.8 (or highest version of guile available)

2) Go to your Home directory, in Terminal...
cd ~

3) Download the Balsa 3.5 for Linux i686 binaries tarball file...
wget http://intranet.cs.man.ac.uk/apt/projects/tools/balsa/temporary_http_mirror/Balsa-3.5/balsa-3.5-full-linux-i686.tar.bz2

4) Download the Balsa User Manual, a PDF file...
wget ftp://ftp.cs.man.ac.uk/pub/amulet/balsa/3.5/BalsaManual3.5.pdf

5) Create the etc subdirectory and go into it...
mkdir etc
cd etc

6) Extract all the stuff that's in the Balsa tarball, creating subdirectory ~/etc/balsa ...
tar xjfv ~/balsa-3.5-full-linux-i686.tar.bz2

7) Make a backup copy of your .profile file, then open it using the gedit text editor...
cp ~/.profile ~/.profile.bakup
gedit ~/.profile

8 ) To set the Linux environment variables required by Balsa, copy and paste all of these lines to the end of your .profile file...
# BEGIN Balsa Environment Variable Section
export PATH=~/etc/balsa/bin:${PATH}
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/etc/balsa/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
export BALSAHOME=~/etc/balsa
export WAVE_SHARE_DIR=~/etc/balsa/share/gtkwave
export WAVE_READER_PATH=~/etc/balsa/lib/gtkwave
# END Balsa Environment Variable Section

Save your updated .profile file, closing gedit.

Finally, close whatever other apps are open and restart X with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

The complete suite of Balsa tools is now installed. To invoke the Balsa Manager, go Terminal and enter...
balsa-mgr

I haven't tested Balsa's proper operation. You should run the examples from the User Manual and compare your results. Watch for errors that complain of something missing.

-----
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fergus on Tue May 22, 2007 3:39 pm

Telic,

what do you do if you have no .profile file?
The closest i got was the bash_profile, but even then there were no other environment variables.

Where do they hide in bianca?
Fergus
Level 2
Level 2

Postby telic on Tue May 22, 2007 6:27 pm

what do you do if you have no .profile file?
The closest i got was the bash_profile, but even then there were no other environment variables.

Just use your .bash_profile file for Step 8, instead of .profile (your login command shell won't even look for ~/.profile if it finds ~/.bash_profile first).

This will set the variables for just you. To globally effect the environment variables for every user who logs onto your system, including you, edit /etc/profile instead. Everyone, including root, also has their own profile script file in their home directory.

-----
Last edited by telic on Thu May 24, 2007 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Postby waylandbill on Thu May 24, 2007 5:15 am

One general thought that no one has touched on: what file system do i use? Fat32, reiserfs, ext3? Again compatibility with windows would be nice so i don't mind install a driver on windows to read ext3. I also read somewhere that you can share things like firefox profiles between windows and mint, does that mean my user partition must be fat32?

I wouldn't recommend fat32 unless there was simply no alternative. With a freely available driver, windows can read the ext3 partition just fine. Of course, with enough experience, you'll find that you need to depend on the windows side less and less. There isn't much you can't do in one that you can't do in another, unless it's some proprietary vendor locked-in thing.
waylandbill
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fergus on Thu May 24, 2007 2:56 pm

I tried again and this time terminal would not recognise the balsa-mgr command when modifying the .bash_profile, i edited the /etc/profiles and now i can launch balsa-mgr however, two errors on the basla console:

cannot open tech directory '~/etc/balsa/share/tech'
cannot open tech directory '/usr/local/balsa/share/tech'
No valid balsa technologies found

The third statement related to the first statement, but i cannot understand why it cannot open the tech directory from my home directory. Is this a permissions thing or something else?

Not convinced with the balsa install from the binary distribution. Would i be better installing it from the source or is this just stuptid.
Is this a distro specific install, or is this general install instructions that need to be taylor for mint/ubuntu?

i think i will email the help link and see if they can be a little more detailed in there installation explanation. Any thoughts in the interim?
Fergus
Level 2
Level 2

Postby telic on Thu May 24, 2007 4:09 pm

Is this a permissions thing or something else?

A user shouldn't have access permission problems with files or subdirectories in their home directory -- unless perhaps you unwittingly used sudo to invoke tar with superuser honors.

To assure that you've got proper permissions with Balsa's files and directories, log in to Mint as your usual self and go Terminal to enter...
sudo chown -R $USER:$USER ~/etc

-----
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fergus on Wed May 30, 2007 6:16 am

Nope still no change on that. I have yet to email the developers so i'll update when i have time.

Just a little note: many many times i have been working in windows, and left my laptop running only for it to hibernate due to lack of usage or just putting the lid down. On reboot mint will be come temperamental with disk access and will require a disk scan. I don't know the in depth reason but i believe that windows must allocate the disk to itself and does not relinquish this hold until you have shut down windows. Hence mint will try to use the disk with windows still attached to it. So if ever you see mint checking disks regularly and wont load your windows partition this will be the reason.
Fergus
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Other topics