the /run ramdisk [solved]

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sae

the /run ramdisk [solved]

Post by sae »

I have googled, but can't find good information on this...
If you run df -h, on mint 17.1, you will see the following ramdisk:
tmpfs 1,6G 1,4M 1,6G 1% /run

After a +1 day uptime, and several programs running, the used size is 1.4 MB, that is, the size of a floppy.

This is a ramdisk, that is, a chunk of the main memory of my system.
As I came to understand, this should replace the /var/run directory, and is invented by our heroes at systemd.
What I do not, and would like to understand though, is the epic size of 1.6GB?

So, any wise words?

(http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/ ... 19006.html)

EDIT: the mystery is now even more mysterious!!1!!!1!11
the command "mount" gives, among other things this:
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
SIZE = 10% of main memory as default??
what for?

after even more google, here is a description:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/169495/w ... m-used-for
Do not be alarmed about the size: importantly, many people running df -h and knowing that /run is backed by RAM are shocked that their precious memory is being "wasted" by these mysterious folders. Just like the Linux ate my RAM myth though, this belief is incorrect.

The size shown is only the maximum that may be used
It defaults to 50% of physical RAM
Only as much shown in the Used column is actually in use, which in the above screenshot is less than 1 megabyte total
You can use the ipcs -m command to verify that the actual shared memory segments used match up to the df summary, and also see which PIDs are using them
Like your regular RAM, /run is also eventually backstopped by your swap, so if you are using /run/shm for "faster" compile times, keep that in mind ;)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Other topics”